Non starter

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
moritz1100
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Non starter

Postby moritz1100 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:26 pm

So, I turn the key, everything lights up as normal. Flick the kill switch to run and pull in the clutch, hit the start button and the headlight dims as it should but then just silence.. No click from the solenoid, no nothin, just silence for a couple of seconds and then it kicks into life, spins at normal speed and starts perfectly. This has started happening over the last few weeks.
Bike has 30k on her, brand new starter and brand new battery, charging fine. Runs like a dream. Am I looking at a new solenoid? It's an intermittent problem so it's hard to troubleshoot as it only happens at random times, cold and hot. Bad wiring somewhere?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Non starter

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:57 pm

moritz1100 wrote:Am I looking at a new solenoid? It's an intermittent problem so it's hard to troubleshoot as it only happens at random times, cold and hot. Bad wiring somewhere?

Sounds like you already diagnosed the possibilities.....Starter "new",battery "new"...not much else.
A start solenoid could be sticking
Any corroded connections are suspect also.
The only way to confirm would be able to test probe the solenoid wiring at the moment it dosen't work.....
You could also just clean all the connections and replace the solenoid and hope you get it.

One other possibility is the "start" button.
Yes it's possible it's bad. The contacts have a tendancy to get contaminated and again you'd have to be probing the solenoid wire from the start button to confirm it...

Or just take it apart and clean it too....

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”