3 Yellow Wire Soldering

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
MikeBen
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 Interstate, 94 interstate...99 se

3 Yellow Wire Soldering

Postby MikeBen » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:21 am

Ok, after reading quite a few threads, , i know i have to do the three yellow wire thing, and like a few guys said, ive always crimped everything, as i am a HORRIBLE soldering guy, no clue when theres to much, not enough heat, that being said, there is a product out there called liquid solder, or industrial glue, has anyone ever heard of these being used? i have not seen any threads about this, i simply cannot solder, tried, big blobs all over the place, i know most stuff, like jb weld, is non conductive, so i would have to find a conductive kind, but any opinions on this? how about crimping and liquid soldering? lol, just trying to think of ways to do this.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: 3 Yellow Wire Soldering

Postby redial » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:16 am

If you havent got a friend in the world (that can solder), take it to an auto electrician. They will be able to perform the necessary work, probably for a little fee if you do the preparation.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:17 am

I agree with redial on this one. No to the liquid solder. Even an ugly solder job is better than liquid solder, which will likely just give up when you need it most and leave you stranded. It is easy to learn to solder. Take a stranded wire, and heat it with a soldering iron or gun. When it is hot enough for the solder to wick into the strands, without touching the soldering iron, that is the heat you are looking for. Practice this three or four times with wire you don't need for anything else (new wire). Then get some soldering paste and put some on older wire and try it all again. And Bob's your uncle - you are now an amateur solderer. From there it ain't nothing but up.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:16 am

To solder well, the solder joint needs to be hot enough for the solder to flow through the entire joint and bond well. Otherwise, you end up with something called a "cold joint" and the connection may be tenuous. Using soldering flux helps to insure that the joint is perfect. Flux promotes the melting of the solder and the good flow through the entire joint. It makes a big difference as I found through the years by experience.

To solder with flux correctly, attach the wires together as tightly as possible, dab on some flux using a brush or Q-Tip, heat the wires with your gun, and apply the solder after the joint gets hot.

If your joint isn't getting hot enough, the issue might be the soldering gun or pencil. I'd advise against using a real dollar store cheapie. Still, even the good Weller guns, which I swear by, develop issues with the tips after many uses and they need replaced. I like having a soldering gun with replaceable tips. It's also important to keep the tip clean as solder bonds to the tips and after a time of accumulation, interfere with the heat transfer. A piece of sandpaper will fix this problem quickly.

There's nothing better than soldering in a situation where the wires are subject to weather and vibration. Motorcycles epitomize this. Doing it right makes all the difference in the world.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Agreed. You can get away with clips and substandard connections in a car - but not on a motorcycle. Any non-soldered joint on a motorcycle WILL eventually fail.

MikeBen

Postby MikeBen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:49 pm

this is the connector i took out before it started pouring out, i will let you know how my solder job went, but......i am not using a solder gun , i found after alot of practice with a butane torch, that it works awesome, and MUCH fast than waiting for the solder iron to get everything hot, thanks for all the responses,
Attachments

MikeBen

Postby MikeBen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:07 pm

finished product, thanks for the advice
Attachments

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:21 pm

You would love the Antex Gascat 120p, it has a tip for using the flame. Used a Gascat for years, take it anywhere with no plugging in.

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”