Connector near turn signal control

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
skippermts
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I

Connector near turn signal control

Postby skippermts » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:52 pm

I just reinstalled my false tank, and I pinched two wires that lead to a connector that doesn't appear to connect to anything. The connector has 2 female inserts, the leads are green and green/white and then change to green and black further in. It blew all the lighting and accessory fuses when I started it. Only the headlight works. Does anyone know what this connector is for, and if I can just remove it? I have a 1980 GL1100I with hondaline fairing, but no stereo. Thanks for any assistance.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Connector near turn signal control

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:11 pm

Green/White is +12V coming off the turn signal fuse.
Green is always ground.
Green Black is +7V coming off the fuel/temp gauge regulator, but it shouldn't be anywhere near where you are working. There is a Light Green/Black, which is +12V power coming off the Accessory fuse.

My guess is that the empty connector is what would be used on the harness for accessories your bike doesn't have - but without actually looking at mine, I can't say for sure.

Regardless, just repair/insulate the wires you pinched, replace the fuses, and hopefully you should be good to go.

skippermts

Postby skippermts » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Removed the connector and insulated the wires with heat shrink, and replaced the fuses. I turned on the switch and all the lights came on, until I Started it. Starter spun over but didn't want to turn over the engine. Thought maybe the battery was low, so I hooked up a jumper pak. Still acted odd when trying to start, but finally got it started. Same thing happened. All lighting and acc fuses blew. I have already replaced the dogbone with 30Amp sealed fuse. My next step is going to be to take the false tank off again, look for anything else, replace the fuses and start it without the false tank on, unless anyone has any ideas of what else could be causing this. I just bought the bike last fall, and it really hasn't had any starting or electrical problems. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:34 pm

Yep, you've still got a short somewhere, although not a dead short - only a partial short. The starter wouldn't start the bike because some of the current was being drawn off by your short, so not enough was left to spin the engine fast enough to start it. You hooked up your jumper pack, which increased the overall available current enough to get it started. When it started, the stator started putting out full power, the voltage rose, and the overall power running through your short was finally enough to blow the fuses (which is a good thing, because if they don't blow, your wiring harness will melt instead).

skippermts

Postby skippermts » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm going to do some digging, and try to get it started with the false tank off. I'll let you know what I find.

skippermts

Postby skippermts » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:53 am

Both spark controls are completely melted on the inside. Could this be the problem, or should I be looking for another short somewhere else? I would hate to replace these and then have it happen again.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:57 am

skippermts wrote:Both spark controls are completely melted on the inside. Could this be the problem, or should I be looking for another short somewhere else? I would hate to replace these and then have it happen again.

That's a common problem with our bikes, but it doesn't cause shorts, and I doubt it's the cause of yours - completely different circuit. Take the igniters out, clean out the melted potting compound as best you can, mix up a big batch of epoxy, and fill them up with the epoxy. Once the epoxy has cured, you can reinstall them and they should function with no problem.

skippermts

Postby skippermts » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:19 am

I tried the epoxy route with the spark units, but after finishing them, I tested them before starting. Per the download book, both tested bad. It may be that i ran these too long melted and they shorted out, drawing too much current from the stator and blowing the other fuses. When I unhook them, the starter and engine turn over fine, but hooked up, the starter just spins without turning the engine. Any ideas why these would melt ant short, or is it just a design flaw in the bike? Also, any idea where I can get some new (or used) spark units? Honda dealer says they are discontinued, and wasn't sure if there were any after market replacements.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:00 am

I think the engineers just didn't think of them having to last 30 years when they designed them, I guess. I've seen them used online (eBay and such) from time to time. I also saw a bike that had substituted what looked like automotive spark generators, and it appeared to run fine.

I'm curious as to how they would cause the starter not to engage the engine. Are they just shorting out, and drawing down the system voltage so much that the starter can't spin fast enough to engage the sprague clutch?

skippermts

Postby skippermts » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:10 pm

I found some on e-bay, and should have them this week. I'll let you know how it goes. These drew down to under 1 volt when tested, and it sounds like the starter is not getting enough current drive the sprague clutch. Thanks for the info.

skippermts

Postby skippermts » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:57 am

Everything works great with the new spark units. Bike runs better than it has since I bought it last fall. Pull from the stator must have been too much and blew out the fuses for the lights and such. Thanks WingAdmin for the help.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”