VAGA hammering at low rpm

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

VAGA hammering at low rpm

Postby Wilcoy02 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:43 pm

by corba

Can anyone tell me, when goldwing working at 1500 rpm and a little less, really hammering can be heard in the engine, and when you raise over two thousand, it starts to work fine, while driving works great, but because impossible while standing in place, unequal work and will go off as soon as you try to put a thousand revolutions, I bought a liquid that is poured into gasoline, to clean the carburetor, valves. consumption of gasoline per 100 km to 6.5 liters, as very few know about goldwings and maintenance and anything else related to the engine, I hope that I can rely on you

Placed here by wilcoy02 for corba from Yugoslavia

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: VAGA hammering at low rpm

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:52 pm

When was the last time his carbs were synchronized?
If his carbs are off by a fair margin, they can/will produce a 'hammering' sound from just off idle and then quieten down over 2,500 RPM, or so.

Dusty

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Try to give more info as to sync to carbs or any other info you might give.

I believe this is his first goldwing and is trying to learn a lot in a short period of time.

He just got the bike registered after a hassle from the gov't as they had no info on bikes older than 1988.
He is from yougoslavia and apparently no one knows anything about goldwings there.

Hopefully he will chime in here to give more info as it becomes available to him.

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:53 pm

thought i saw more than one how to sync your carbs vid on youtube.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:32 am

Cobra, if you own a 80/81 model the idle jets are pressed into the towers in the carbs, you can either remove them or you will have to boil the carbs, what you are describing is the sound of clogged idle jets, your bike should guide away with no chatter at all...I pulled mine and cleaned them up as it made noise something aweful before I did..This is risking for some people to do and many can't seem to get them out..I have never had a problem removing them.. Do a search on removing them...I just saw a good one over at the NGW site..The guy heats up the base where the jet is installed and then he used a screw to retrieve it..It makes sense to me to heat the area first from the outside, shoot then maybe a guy could shoot some compressed air straight down the center of the jet then try the screw to remove it...My way of thinking would be that the heat would expand the exterior of the case and the compressed air would reduce the expansion of the jet and it should come out much easier.. You won't hurt the jet from above with the screw, you have a good 1/2" of meat before you get to the actual jet hole in the center of the jet, note that there are holes on the sides as well...use a really small wire or guitar string to clear the way on these tiny jet holes... I soaked my jets in carb cleaner over night before trying to clean them out..Oh yeah Cobra, on the 82/83 the idle jets can be removed with a flathead screwdriver, get one that fits or grind down a screwdriver if you have to to fit into the hole to turn the top of the jet out, don't use a screwdriver that to small for the slot...They finally got smart and made these so you can get them out...I'm really pretty gosh darn sure that it's your idle jets giving you this problem these are also known as slow jets too..Have a good day sir..

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:12 am

Wilcoy02 wrote:by corba

Can anyone tell me, when goldwing working at 1500 rpm and a little less, really hammering can be heard in the engine, and when you raise over two thousand, it starts to work fine, while driving works great, but because impossible while standing in place, unequal work and will go off as soon as you try to put a thousand revolutions, I bought a liquid that is poured into gasoline, to clean the carburetor, valves. consumption of gasoline per 100 km to 6.5 liters, as very few know about goldwings and maintenance and anything else related to the engine, I hope that I can rely on you

Placed here by wilcoy02 for corba from Yugoslavia

Sync those carbs first. I had that same sound (a little bit like a few marbles rolling around in the engine) when I got my latest Wing. Here is the link for the how to. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=81

This fixed mine. Your symptoms sound just like mine did.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”