Slippage - Clutch or Transmission?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
figdog
Motorcycle: 1983 aspencade

Slippage - Clutch or Transmission?

Postby figdog » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:14 pm

I am about to begin tuning up a gl1100 engine for an around the world trip. However, a slippage problem worries me a bit. My gl1100 slips ONLY in fourth gear. What happens is if I shift up from 3rd to 4th, as I am accelerating it feels like it goes into neutral for a split second then it catches. Put another way, there is a split second that it sounds as if its revving ... like the rpms shoot up for a bit and there is a loss of power, then the rpm noise goes back to normal and power resumes. This does not happen in other gears.

Is this a clutch or transmission issue? The reason I am concerned is because if its a matter of replacing clutch components, then no problem. However, if it is a transmission issue that requires splitting the case, I would rather just get another engine or bike.

I dont want to spend money on clutch parts, in addition to other things like a water pump and alternator, only to then find that the transmission gears or selectors are bad.

Thoughts?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Slippage - Clutch or Transmission?

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Generally, if it's a gradual slip, where the RPM goes a bit high, then comes back down and the bike continues on, that's a clutch problem. If it lets go suddenly and revs freely, then slams into gear, that's a transmission problem.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Re: Slippage - Clutch or Transmission?

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:14 am

Wet clutches in the Wings...Sometime modifiers in the oil can cause the clutch plates to slip.
That's why so many like to use oil like Rotella - no modifiers...
I have read that one can add some MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) or Seafoam to the engine oil and then by running it for a few hundred miles hopefully cleaning the plates...? I have no personal experience with this..but it sounds reasonable...
Why it shows in 4th...? Isn't that the first gear that approaches overdrive ? The '83 had different gearing than the 80-81-82 ...

Of course all this is speculation based on my experience - But I have only had a GL1100 for a short time...
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”