Tire shine product for cycles

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tunaboy
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Tire shine product for cycles

Postby tunaboy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Is there a tire shine product that is not too slippery and OK to use on motorcycle tires?

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Re: Tire shine product for cycles

Postby Fulcrum » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:25 pm

You can use anything. The trick is just to keep it on the sidewalls. They make little pads that you apply the tire foam or spray on and then wipe the sidewall. And if you happen to get some on the tread area just use some soap and water on a hand towel and wipe it off.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Re: Tire shine product for cycles

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:00 pm

tunaboy wrote:Is there a tire shine product that is not too slippery and OK to use on motorcycle tires?

NEVER use a tire shine on a motorcycle tire. We use the side of our tires more than cars, and if it is about safety, don't use it. It isn't worth it. I use Westleys whitewall/blackwall tire cleaner and a nice stiff bristled brush when i actually clean the tires.(bout every 2 months) And I have been told by my friend's son in law who works for a big tire company, that using any tire shine, on any kind of tires, does not help the life of the tire, it decreases it. Rubber is a funny compound. There isn't a product that will protect it from weather wear. You will see ads, and people saying there is, but that is to sell you stuff. Just clean them and use care when parking for extended periods. Try to keep them out of the sun and rain when not in use.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”