GL1100 Carbs Won't Sync

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Crmpacer
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

GL1100 Carbs Won't Sync

Postby Crmpacer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:48 pm

Greetings all. I am new to riding and repair and was not seeing my problem listed on the threads so I am looking for some advice.

I recently acquired a 1982 Goldwing Apencade GL100 and she had been unridden in a year. The bike was very hard to start so I ran a can of Berrymans B12 through the gas and I got it to start and run with revs up but not idle. After getting a tank of gas through it (by idle and rides up my street and back) I put in a full can of seafoam and a fresh tank of gas and witnessed an ever better improvement. The bike will now start up with little effort of choke but still only idle if the adjustment is set to around 2000rpm+.

Anything under 2000rpm has a very rough idle and a lag/slap from the carbs or timing belt.

As soon as I got the bike to idle at 2000rpms I let the bike sit overnight and the next morning I adjusted the valves and gave it an oil change.
My next step was to sync the carbs with a four gauge set I ordered off E-bay but when I hooked the set up the #3 cylinder showed a vaccum or intake leak and was in the red. The number one carb was holding steady at 3PSI and the two and four were close to 0PSI/red line.

I am assuming that since the #3 carb is my constant that it has a leak of some kind or another issue that is keeping it from registering.

I have never worked on a motorcycle but am handy with tools. I am a full time adult student on a very tight budget so I do not have the money for a professional mechanic and am not sure how to proceed. The gentleman said rebuilt carbs had been put on a year and a half ago and two years ago he put on new timing belts.

I dont know whether getting it out on the highway and pushing the seafoam through it at highway speeds will help or whether I am looking at some more extensive work.

Any advice or troubleshooting hints would be appreciated.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Re: GL1100 Carbs Won't Sync

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:19 pm

Crmpacer wrote:Greetings all. I am new to riding and repair and was not seeing my problem listed on the threads so I am looking for some advice.

I recently acquired a 1982 Goldwing Apencade GL100 and she had been unridden in a year. The bike was very hard to start so I ran a can of Berrymans B12 through the gas and I got it to start and run with revs up but not idle. After getting a tank of gas through it (by idle and rides up my street and back) I put in a full can of seafoam and a fresh tank of gas and witnessed an ever better improvement. The bike will now start up with little effort of choke but still only idle if the adjustment is set to around 2000rpm+.

Anything under 2000rpm has a very rough idle and a lag/slap from the carbs or timing belt.

As soon as I got the bike to idle at 2000rpms I let the bike sit overnight and the next morning I adjusted the valves and gave it an oil change.
My next step was to sync the carbs with a four gauge set I ordered off E-bay but when I hooked the set up the #3 cylinder showed a vaccum or intake leak and was in the red. The number one carb was holding steady at 3PSI and the two and four were close to 0PSI/red line.

I am assuming that since the #3 carb is my constant that it has a leak of some kind or another issue that is keeping it from registering.

I have never worked on a motorcycle but am handy with tools. I am a full time adult student on a very tight budget so I do not have the money for a professional mechanic and am not sure how to proceed. The gentleman said rebuilt carbs had been put on a year and a half ago and two years ago he put on new timing belts.

I dont know whether getting it out on the highway and pushing the seafoam through it at highway speeds will help or whether I am looking at some more extensive work.

Any advice or troubleshooting hints would be appreciated.

Just a few questions to help me understand what you are saying. I am a bit slow, and need clarification at my age. ;) The slap/lag you speek of...is that when you are taking off for a ride? That can happen when the carbs are out of sync. Did you see any proof that the carbs were rebuilt? Any proof that the timing belts were replaced? PO's have been know to not be totally up front. It it were me, here's what I would do. See if you can get any proof from the PO about those two items...Run a can or two of seafoam through the tank. Replace the fuel filter. Sync the carbs. I am not understanding what you are saying about a leak. If you suspect a vacuum leak, that must be fixed before a sync will help you. But here is the DIY link for the sync...viewtopic.php?f=11&t=81

This DIY article is excellent, and may help. Keep us posted on you venture, okay?

Crmpacer

Postby Crmpacer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:41 pm

Thanks so much for the reply.

What I was trying to convey was a very rough idle with intermittent mechanical sounds (similar to what you would hear from a bad bearing) when it is below 2000rpms. I have read that the noise is common when the carbs are out of sync. Almost like the linkage or belts are playing catch up.

When I ride the bike up my street it does wonderful unless I am trying to take off from a stop. I usually have to bring up the rpm's with the throttle and baby the clutch so it does not die.

I believe I have paper work on the timing belt repair and I also have the set of carb's that he replaced off the bike.

I bought a blue, four bank, gauge set off E-bay and the readings go from a red section that says possible vaccuum leak or heat sync leak, to 0-4psi then to green (normal).

I guess my question is this: If I have an issue in my #3 carb where do I even begin? I am not familiar with how these carbs work or if it is beyond my skill level to take them off and attempt to clean them. I am very handy with tools and can fix most items I set my mind to (tvs, microwaves, cars, etc) but it is purely through trial and error and common sense.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:27 am

One more question...Does that rattle sound a little bit like there is a couple of marbles rolling around in the engine? And did you try different vacuum testers on each carb? Sometime the vacuum testers are off a bit, as stated in the link for the DIY I gave.

I have had that same sound with my most recent Wing when I got it, and here is what worked for me...Here is what I would do. Run two tanks through the bike with Seafoam added, and I would run it kinda hard. I don't know how it was stored with the gas in it, but the seafoam won't hurt it. I always use Sta-Bil when storing any gas longer than 2 months. With any luck, if you have a stuck slide, (the little can looking thing on top of each carb) running the seafoam may clean up the slide. You can search the forum for cleaning slides for more info.

If I still have an issue with #3, I would determine if it is a stuck slide, or intake leak. To check slide movement, you can look in the plenum with a mirror and see the slides moving with patience, and a good light. A quick rap on the throttle and all four slides should move very freely. Something you can also search for in this forum on how to do that.

To check if there is an intake leak at #3, I would put a rag around everything except the intake manifold, and spray carb cleaner at where it is attached to the carb, both top and bottom. If there is something not sealed, i.e. gasket missing or broke, or something not tight, when you spray the carb cleaner at it, the engine will begin to sputter and/or stall. There should be none of this behavior if there is no intake leak. If you get a negative response when you spray, just figure out if something is loose, or a seal is bad. You can do quit a bit to the carb without actually having to totally remove it.

But try the seafoam first, and see what happens. It may clear it up. But if not, find any intake leak, have a nice clean air filter on too, and sync the carbs as best you can. When people rebuild carbs, they often overlook making sure the slides move very freely. Feel free to ask anything you are unclear about, as I often don't explain myself very well. I'd rather just come over and help, but I can answer anything I may have confused you about.

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:12 am

pat has some really good advice, the only thing i would add to it is: take your can of seafoam, turn off gas valve at the tank. remove fuel line from valve and insert it into the can of seafoam. fill the carb bowls using the fuel pump and let sit overnight. reattach everything. the next day drain the seafoam from the carbs using the drain screws and add fuel.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

Crmpacer

Postby Crmpacer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 am

Thank you all for the great replies and encouragement. I am not feeling nearly as apprehensive as when I posted this. The thought of having to disassemble the bike and pull the carbs was putting me even further away from getting into the wind.

If we lived closer I would love to connect one on one and glean some of that knowledge and I appreciate the offer. I am thankful that there are some experienced riders that are willing to share their knowledge and offer help.

I will stick with the Seafoam for now and love the idea of adding it straight to the carbs to soak. I will also use some carb cleaner to test for intake breaches. One thing I forgot to mention was the fact that when I popped the valve covers and oil filter I did not get much oil drain (no where near 4.5 quarts (maybe 1). It also did not take any time for the first tank of gas to run through. I started it every morning and afternoon for a week and took it for maybe five short rides up my street and back and the tank was below 1/4 full, down from totally full. I am thinking that the gas consumption is directly related to the carbs dumping fuel from being stuck open possibly? The previous owner did mention that when he was trying to get it started that the number four carb was dripping fuel from an overflow? I have not seen any signs of fuel dripping from any carb and assumed that was due to something being clogged and was hoping the Seafoam would clear it out.

Thank you all again for taking some of your valuable time to help a first timer get his new wing out on the Kentucky roads.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:14 am

If the some idle passages or jets are partially clogged, then some carbs are struggling to run on the main jets, while others are running on the idle jets.

No way to get THAT scenario to balance!
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:17 am

just a suggestion: an 82 gl1100 only takes 3.7 qts of oil. remember to turn off the gas valve at the tank EACH TIME you shut the bike off untill the carb issue is corrected or you risk hydrolocking the motor.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

Crmpacer

Postby Crmpacer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:17 am

"One more question...Does that rattle sound a little bit like there is a couple of marbles rolling around in the engine? And did you try different vacuum testers on each carb? Sometime the vacuum testers are off a bit, as stated in the link for the DIY I gave."

Brandon-

Yes the sound does sound like a few lose marbles in the engine. The more I have tinkered with the bike the better things have gotten and the less aggressive the marbles have sounded. They have gone from sounding like four or five rolling around to just one or two.

I did not try different vacuum testers on the carbs but that is an excellent idea. I was trying to be systematic about it and use the outside gauges for one and three and the inside gauges for two and four (since they are not labeled).

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 am

SteveB123 wrote:If the some idle passages or jets are partially clogged, then some carbs are struggling to run on the main jets, while others are running on the idle jets.

No way to get THAT scenario to balance!

Steve you hit it right on the nose I bet, you really can't sync. the carbs if the idle jets are even a little clogged, sounds to me like they are alot clogged, sitting for a time will do that, On the 82 model you can simply unscrew the idle jets, just get a flashing and look down into one of those towers in the carb where the jet lives, get a screwdriver and unscrew it and remove, soak in carb cleaner for a while or even overnight then clear out the passage ways very carefully using a small wire and some air pressure, some use a guitar string for this, the holes are tiny, be careful and what ever you do don't try to drill them out :shock: ..Once you have every jet cleared, then your bike will idle proper...Then you can sync, the slides only apply when you throttle up, a sticking slide will jack with your accelleration, your going to want to inspect them too...

seldonca
Motorcycle: 1982 Aspencade
1984 Magna V30

Postby seldonca » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:28 am

I'm pretty sure my idle jets are clogged on my 82 Aspy, I'm not that good with carbs but I think I could remove the idle jets to clean them if I could figure out where they are. I've tried looking at some diagrams but still can't figure out where they are. A picture of where they are would be much appreciated. Sorry for butting in on this thread but the weather is almost to the point where I can actually get riding.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:54 am

Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

seldonca
Motorcycle: 1982 Aspencade
1984 Magna V30

Postby seldonca » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:02 am

Oops, the previous post sounded like I could get them out without disassembling everything. I'll have to get them done then. Doing the carbs is beyond my skill set.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”