Got my Bike running today.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tunaboy
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Got my Bike running today.

Postby tunaboy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:59 am

I took the carbs off last fall and had them bench synced. I just replaced the wires and spark plug caps, replaced the fuel filter, fuel lines, and the O rings in the manifolds. Just a little starting fluid and it fired. The bench sync must be pretty close it seems to run pretty smooth, just need to bump up the idle screw a bit. Its always good to hear it fire after the carbs are off. I ran it until the radiator fan kicked it. I want to play with it just a little before the BIG job. Drop the radiator, replace coolant and the BELTS! I feel that it is doable with the tech articles found here on GWD's. This is probably the first time the bike has been gone through. I can't thank you guys enough for the help and feedback I have received. If I had to pay for all the work to be done I am sure it would be over $1200, money that I don't have.

Tuna

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Got my Bike running today.

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:36 pm

While your doing the much needed maintenance,flush the old nasty brake fluid out too.
Take a wiggle at the water pump while your down there.Check for lateral movement(bearings).

Double check the steering head nut torque or at least check the front end for play in the triple tree.

Sorry...I can go on for pages but you get the idea.....Service and check everything for trouble free driving....Even the dreaded 3 yellow wires for the charging circuit need to be tended to.

Stick with it....labor is always the most expensive part of getting the bike in top shape.

Joecop
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I
1972 Honda Chopper
1989 Yamaha FZR600
1981 Honda ATC 200cc

Postby Joecop » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:17 pm

Good advice from Virgil. I used the articles to do my belts and changed out the water pump as well. I don't know where ur budget is but do the pump if u can. There is a weep hole beneath the engine check it to see if you have any wetness, antifreeze or oil there. If the pump is good you could just change the o rings around the pump.

One last thing buy the silicate free anti freeze or u will ruin all the o rings.

tunaboy
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Postby tunaboy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks for the other "to do's". I was planning to do the three yellow wires and I did flush the brakes and am considering the stainless lines. About the anti freeze, I thought that I read that the non silicate anti freeze was NOT needed?? I also plan to replace the thermostat. Will I need to replace the O rings there?. Not looking forward to pulling the radiator and doing the belt swap. I know a guy who has been a Honda Mechanic for 24 years and claims that he has never seen a belt brake on a Goldwing. He has a lot of experience with the 1000's up to the 1800's. I still plan to replace mine. My bike is old but has only 22K on the speedo. Do the water pumps fail at any set mileage?

Thanks for the feedback

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:59 pm

i use the silicate free antifreeze in my bike napa or wallyworld has it. i understand that the other stuff is bad for bikes and will damage the cooling system. water pumps go when they go, there is no set timeframe or mileage. good job on getting it running.

WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”