gas tank must be clogged inside if....

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
flajockjd
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate "Barn find"

gas tank must be clogged inside if....

Postby flajockjd » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am

....i removed the fuel filter on 1100 and lines from petcock...braced my container and opened petcock....nothing...no gas gushing out...no dribble...nothing....what now?

J.D.
U.S.M.C.
FLA
USA

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: gas tank must be clogged inside if....

Postby SteveB123 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:54 am

Well, it has a fuel pump for a reason.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:09 pm

steve is right. past a certain point the tank no longer gravity feeds. pressurize the tank then open the fuel valve. i usually leave the fuel cap on, attach a hose to the fuel valve and blow into the tank, but i've never been accused of being the brightest crayon in the box.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby Fulcrum » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Are you trying to completely drain the tank?

flajockjd
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate "Barn find"

Postby flajockjd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Hello fulcrum...i lost track of your question..and only saw it when going over some old posts...update...got the tank off...including petcock...filled with vinegar and got a lot of rust out...i still think the lines are clogged because no fluid pours,leaks or even dribbles out of petcock holes...currently looking for radiator shop nearby who can boil this out and coat the dang thing...
J.D.
U.S.M.C.
FLA
USA

veg_eta_ble
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Postby veg_eta_ble » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:49 am

Do yourself a really big favor and do not coat the tank. If you remove the fuel level sending unit you will be able to see the pickup lines that extend into the bottom of the tank. At the end of these lines is a fine wire mesh screen. Coating the tank will plug these screens completely and you will never get fuel through them without removing the screens. This site has many different methods to clean a rusted tank without going to the radiator shop. Some have great luck with vinegar. I myself used the electrolysis method and had a squeaky clean tank when done. :D And the best way to keep your tank from having rust is to keep it topped off with non-ethanol gas with a fuel stabilizer when not in use for a month or more.
If you walked out of bed today, had a job to go to, a home to go back to, and someone there who loves you, then my friends, you have already won. -Larry Miller

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby Fulcrum » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:38 pm

Here is what to do. Go buy some Metal Rescue, you can find it at some Home Depot stores or online at Summit racing. I used a gallon on my tank and rotated the tank every 8 hours for 2 days. Came out looking brand new. Also one of my sump lines in the tank was blocked so I shot some air through it after the first day. Came out beautifully. Check out their videos on youtube. I really wish more people would try this and then realize how simple it is and how amazingly it works. Thats my advice anyway.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”