Derusting Gas Tank

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
GoldFlash
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Asplecade

Derusting Gas Tank

Postby GoldFlash » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:43 am

Hi I read some about derusting your gas tank using white vinegar.Anyone done this and with what results? Its sounds fairly easy compared with removing the tank. The only thing i'm not clear on is when you use baking soda to neutralize the acid in the vinegar. Are you adding the baking soda to the vinegar or are you removing the vinegar and adding water or some other fluid with the baking soda? Also how many times should I do this and how much baking soda should I use? Hope this doesn't sound to dumb but I don't want to screw up anything else in the process. Thanks for any help GF

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Re: Derusting Gas Tank

Postby trashtruck » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:37 am

i'm going thru the same thing now, with the vinigar. i dont think i left mine in long enough, only 24 hrs. i'm going to do it again, this time i'll wait 3/4 days with it in and do a better job of getting the leftover crud out. use the baking soda/water solution after you remove the vinigar.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby Fulcrum » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 am

Best solution, go to Home Depot or Summit Racing and order some Metal Rescue. All you do is pour it in and dump it out, nothing else needed. And it works!!!! Plus its water based so it wont eat anything but rust and its safe to pour down the drain. I had my tank out and used I gallon with me rotating the tank for full coverage. Ate every bit of rust in my tank.

Calzone
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Postby Calzone » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:41 pm

I have used each method on the same tank, Electrolysis was a waste of time, so then I used pool acid and it did very well but I wouldn't recommend it unless your very confident on your speed and ability to get it in and out fast.
Acid did work best but still there was spots on the ceiling of the tank so I removed the gauge sending unit and installed a 2 inch rubber pipe plug and filled it with vinegar to the top of the fill pipe.
I let mine sit for a week or so but I have heard 2 weeks is OK.
I drained it out and all the crud siphoning would get out.
I then went to the dollar store and bought a high pressure nozzle that actually fit into the sending unit hole and allowed me to spray in a 360 degee pattern which I did several times filling the tank about 1/2 way then siphoning out , doing that 4-5 times.
I then stuffed a small towel into the send unit hole and used a stiff wire to move it with sopping up excess water, pulled it out and used a hair dryer into the fill hole and let it run several minutes till dry and used a rag soaked with WD40 to wipe all over the inside.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”