Discoloration on 1 exhaust pipe

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Discoloration on 1 exhaust pipe

Postby tunaboy » Wed May 01, 2013 9:02 am

I noticed when I first got my 1100 out this spring that the right side pipe had a straw color on the pipe right before the exhaust goes down to straight tube before the very end of the exhaust. The bike has never shown any color on any of the exhaust before. Once the chrome is discolored I don't know if it can be removed. Any ideas as to why this stain shows up after 30 years? Has something changed on the right side? I have done belts, wires, coolant etc this spring but this stain was there when I first rolled the bike out of the corner of the garage a month ago. Seem to run well after the updates. Need to sea foam the oil next and clean that up as well. The NAPA wires, plug caps, thermostat, hoses, and fuel filter seem to work fine and a lot less expensive that what the dealer wants.

Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Discoloration on 1 exhaust pipe

Postby dingdong » Wed May 01, 2013 9:08 am

Discolored exhaust indicate a lean condition at that cylinder. Air fuel mixture incorrect. Vacuum leak / restricted fuel flow to that cylinder.???

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”