Post Traumatic Hydro-lock Procedures?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Post Traumatic Hydro-lock Procedures?

Postby mytown » Wed May 01, 2013 9:38 am

First thing I remembered once I uncovered my outdoor bike for the first time this season was that I had removed the tank and air filter cover at the end of last season. Looking down I saw water in the filter housing and down on top of the carburetors (aren't covers waterproof? :lol: ). And the starter would not budge the motor. After trying different things, I pulled the plugs and whaaat? Water in the cylinders, just like I had read about, thanks. Boy does she turn over! The water shot a good 20-25 feet. That's a good thing :D And now that I have had my morning shower :o I am wondering if there are any steps I should take to eliminate any potential post-hydro-lock damage.

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Re: Post Traumatic Hydro-lock Procedures?

Postby trashtruck » Wed May 01, 2013 10:02 am

first thing you're gonna have to do is get rid of all the water. remove the plugs and put some oil down each cylinder. turn motor to distribute. on the left side, under the stator housing there should be a little catch can, empty this and the air filter housing should drain also. open the carb drain screws and remove anything that's in there as it's probably not gas now.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby mytown » Wed May 01, 2013 10:43 am

trashtruck wrote:first thing you're gonna have to do is get rid of all the water. remove the plugs and put some oil down each cylinder. turn motor to distribute. on the left side, under the stator housing there should be a little catch can, empty this and the air filter housing should drain also. open the carb drain screws and remove anything that's in there as it's probably not gas now.

Thanks.
Can't seem to get to the drain screws, but the carbs will be coming of soon.

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Wed May 01, 2013 11:23 am

if the air filter housing was full of water, it's a good bet it went down the engine breather hose as well. you're probably gonna have to do an oil change too.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed May 01, 2013 12:33 pm

I thought covers were waterproof too....Nope...mine were not...good for leaves,not driving rain.
Every time they would weep enough to drip on the shelter..From there water would channel the edges and drip on the air cleaner which also channeled water into the plenum...

This happen to me 3 times on both the 1100 and 1200....
Driving in the rain was never a problem,just parked in the rain...cover or not..
When I expected a bad rain,I made a waterproof cover held by 4 magnets that I would cover the shelter with.....just till i got the shed built....

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”