Spark issue??

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
chrissvitak
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Spark issue??

Postby chrissvitak » Sun May 05, 2013 10:29 am

HI everyone -
I have a 1983 GL1100i. For the past couple of weeks it has been having a problem spark ignition (I think).

This issue seems to be intermittent but becoming more and more common. When she runs great…she runs great! When the problem starts, she spits and sputters in first gear going to second and sometimes in second. After a couple of seconds it runs fine. It appears to have something to do with RPM's in the lower gears. Now, it only does this most of the time when it's at operating temp. What I have noticed is that when the problem starts I have a distinct smell of gas of unburnt. It also appears to be affecting cylinder #4.

My first thought was spark plugs so I changed them. Still did it. Some research showed that it could be the ignition coil. Just got finished installing a new one. I inspected the wires and they appeared to be ok. Guess what, it still does it. So frustrating. Where should I look next? Any help is most appreciated.

Chris

1983 GL 1100 Interstate

Goldwing Rider for Life
OH Yah!!

chrissvitak

Re: Spark issue??

Postby chrissvitak » Sun May 05, 2013 10:38 am

Just to add a little more info. When it runs at normal temp 3 of the intake manifolds (1,2,3) get nice and hot while #4 remains very cool to the touch. Could this actually be a carb issue? If so, what can I do?
1983 GL 1100 Interstate

Goldwing Rider for Life
OH Yah!!

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Sun May 05, 2013 11:31 am

pull the plugs and check for spark at all 4 plugs. if you get spark on all 4 it's most likely a carb issue. try adding seafoam for a couple of tanks and see if it clears up.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

chrissvitak

Postby chrissvitak » Sun May 05, 2013 3:35 pm

I pulled the plugs on all 4 and had a great spark. I have run Seafoam through the system several times already. What I did do was spray down all of the linkage with carb cleaner thinking something may be sticky. Took it out for a run (about 10 minutes) to see what would happen. It seems so far that all 4 are working properly (for now). I'll keep you posted.
1983 GL 1100 Interstate

Goldwing Rider for Life
OH Yah!!

dwight007fchr
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Postby dwight007fchr » Wed May 08, 2013 4:57 pm

I am also apparently having a spark issue in my 83 Wing Interstate. I am now having a persistent "miss", which is not noticeable at idle, but as I drive her and increase RPMs and shift thru the gears, there is a definite little miss going on.

I just pulled all plugs and did notice that the rear left (looking from the front of the Wing) is dark and has been burning a bit of oil......mostly just after starting her after sitting and she clears up. But when I placed the plugs against the intake manifolds and then cranked the Wing, it appears to have a weaker spark on one side. I will go back and re-test tonight when it is dark so I can see the brightness of the spark better.

My question is: If indeed I do have a weaker spark on one side of the bike, then does this point at one of the coils as the problem? Do each of the coils (that lie in front of the fake tank) actually power one side, or do they provide spark to one cylinder on each side?

Also, is there a more accurate test as to the spark strength? Maybe just holding the wire and doing the "shock" test?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
dwight

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Wed May 08, 2013 5:33 pm

one coil fires the front cylinders, the other coil fires the rear. move the plug to another cylinder, if the problem moves also, question the plug. if the problem doesnt move, check the plug boot or wire from coil.

WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”