New to GoldWings

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
FlashBack
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate

New to GoldWings

Postby FlashBack » Mon May 13, 2013 2:50 pm

I picked up this 1983 Goldwing GL1100 for $1500.00. The bike had been sitting in storage for around 8 years from my understanding. I generally work on bikes myself, but do to a thing called a job, I didnt have the time as summer is starting shortly here in Oregon, so i put it in the shop. $900.00 later, i picked up my running GoldWing.
I have never owned a GoldWing before. What a nice bike to cruise on. After I cleaned off the 2 inches of dust, i found my prize!!!!
I am getting comfortable again riding as it has been 23 years. I had a motorcycle accident in 1990 and lost me left leg below the knee.
I am thrilled to be riding again.
Any tips, tricks or feedback for me in regards to a GoldWing would be appreciated. Glad I came across this board. Excellent information in the DYI artcicles.
Attachments
Cleaned up on 5/11/2013
Cleaned up on 5/11/2013

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: New to GoldWings

Postby thrasherg » Mon May 13, 2013 3:24 pm

congrats on the bike and getting back on 2 wheels, if they didn't do it at the shop, make sure the timing belts have been changed, after 8 years of standing, the old ones would be very risky and if they break they will do a lot of damage..

Gary

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Mon May 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestion about the timing belts. That didn't even occur to me. The shop owner didnt say anything abou them and I didnt ask. I will though. Although it had been sitting along time, it only has 21, 900 origional miles on it.
Thanks again

Calzone
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Postby Calzone » Mon May 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Congrats, It looks just like my 80`. Definitely change the belts or have them changed. If they break it will bend the valves. As much as use wears them time will harden the rubber and they just break apart. They are only 30 dollars set so it is good insurance to replace them.
Happy trails.

Garacane
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby Garacane » Mon May 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Welcome to the Forum Flashback. Your bike is a beauty and it sounds like you got a good deal on her. I don't think you can find a better online site to answer any question you have or can think up that somebody can't answer for you.

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Tue May 14, 2013 8:05 am

welcome from across the pond. nice machine. exactly the same year and colour as mine .

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Tue May 14, 2013 8:13 am

Yepper - looks like my '83 :=] PLEASE change the belts! A top end rebuild will be VERY expensive! Welcome aboard from Northern Kentucky :D
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Wed May 15, 2013 12:16 am

Thanks all. I have been exploring this site and there are some great DYI articles and discussions.
Had a wierd thing happen today though. Rode my 83 GoldWIng Interstate to work this morning and when i came out to leave, i tried to start it, heard a click then nothing. No indicator lights, horn, etc. Just dead.....Checked the dog bone it was fine.
I was able to get it going by jumping it. One thing i noticed was the indicator lights where flicking(Neutral light). Tried the turn signals and they where acting wierd as well.I was going to drive it home (30 miles) but it was running really rough, so i pulled back into our parking lot and was going to park it inside our recieving area and have my wife pick me up and address it over the weekend.
While i was getting the doors open, the bike smoothed out so decided to head home. I noticed that the charging was hanging out around 8 volts. What I have seen is charging at around 13.8-14 Volts. Adequate for charging a battery. Also, to get it to run smooth i found that if i played with the low/high beam switch, and find just the right spot in the middle, the bike ran smoother. I had to assume at this point i was not running off the battery any longer or at all for that matter.
I made it home, parked the bike and went to my daughters school performance. When i got back, i began investigating, got out the volt meter and started measuring voltage at the battery. Battery showed 13.8 volts with the ignition off. I placed the ingintion switch to ACC and had voltage on 2 of the fuses ( can't remember which ones. I despise getting older). Anyways, when i placed the ingition to the ON position I had no indicator lights, voltage at the fuses and the battery read 0.00 volts. When i placed the ingition switch to the OFF position, I had voltage again at the battery 13.7 now.
This got me thinking I have a bad battery. Maybe a cell panel cracked or something of that nature. I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes and re-connected it. When i turned the ignition to the on position, I had indicator lights. So i proceeded to start the bike and heard a click back by the battery. Indicator lights gone, same symptoms as before. I checked the dog bone again and it was good. Disconnected the battery again and started moving the relay around a bit. Checked the cable connections on the relay and they looked good and tight. Reconnected the battery and it started right up. Charging was back to 13.9-14. Repeatedly stoped and started the bike over a 5 minute period without issue. Took it for a ride and it was like nothing ever happened.....As i said, very wierd.
Anyone else ever experience anything similar?

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Wed May 15, 2013 12:18 am

NKYWinger wrote:Yepper - looks like my '83 :=] PLEASE change the belts! A top end rebuild will be VERY expensive! Welcome aboard from Northern Kentucky :D

Thank you. I am going to address that. Appreciate the suggestion

debran702
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Interstate

Postby debran702 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:34 am

I am also new to Goldwings I need to know is there a way to upgrade the stereo system??? I have a 1983 1100 I any help would be much appreciated Thank you
Randy

dwight007fchr
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Postby dwight007fchr » Mon May 20, 2013 8:51 pm

FlashBack......Greetings to a fellow 1983 Wing Interstater....Yours looks exactly like mine:

83 Wing 1100 Interstate
83 Wing 1100 Interstate

I have also been doing alot of repairs/restoration on this Wing since I acquired her a couple years ago. Am currently working on some mysterious "miss" going on.

That problem you are describing sounds like more than one electrical demon hanging out in your wiring/switches. When you mentioned placing the Hi Beam/Low Beam at the exact spot to get the right volts running thru the system, it made me think that you might have a dead short in your Hi Beam/Low Beam switch. You may want to open it up and see if a wire is loose and grounding out.

Definately keep us all posted as to what your problem was......we all learn form the problems encountered by others.

Timing Belt....Yep, that is a must. There is a most excellent article with a ton of pics here on how to properly do it.....you do not want to tackle it without reading that first.

See ya.
dwight

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:14 am

FlashBack wrote:I placed the ingintion switch to ACC and had voltage on 2 of the fuses ( can't remember which ones. I despise getting older). Anyways, when i placed the ingition to the ON position I had no indicator lights, voltage at the fuses and the battery read 0.00 volts. When i placed the ingition switch to the OFF position, I had voltage again at the battery 13.7 now.
This got me thinking I have a bad battery. Maybe a cell panel cracked or something of that nature. I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes and re-connected it. When i turned the ignition to the on position, I had indicator lights. So i proceeded to start the bike and heard a click back by the battery. Indicator lights gone, same symptoms as before. I checked the dog bone again and it was good. Disconnected the battery again and started moving the relay around a bit. Checked the cable connections on the relay and they looked good and tight. Reconnected the battery and it started right up. Charging was back to 13.9-14. Repeatedly stoped and started the bike over a 5 minute period without issue. Took it for a ride and it was like nothing ever happened.....As i said, very wierd.

Welcome to Goldwing life, and to this forum. Best forum, barr none. As for your weird problem...Although I have not had the one you described, I have had a few electrical issues over the years. The dogbone fuse may look good but did you put a tester to it? I replaced my dogbone with a blade type fuse. A search in this forum will lead you to a how to do that.

But your symptoms sound like the ignition switch may have been dirty, and by turning it on and off so much, may have released some of the gunk. I would take it off and clean it up. But one thing I did notice is that you said there was power to two fuses when you had the key on ACC. According to the attached wiring diagram for the 1983 1100's, there is only supposed to be power at one fuse in the fuse box, (I changed that to blade fuses also) and a fused unused connector on the front of the bike in the fairing, and a direct line to the 30 amp dogbone fuse. Only one of the fuses in the fuse box should be hot when the key is on ACC according to this diagram.

Also, beside changing those timing belts, it is also a good idea to remove the 3 yellow wire connector that goes to the stator, and solder those wires together because that plastic connector gets old and loses its connection, which can harm your electrical system. Here is a link for that viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16438&p=87076&hilit=3+yellow+wire#p87076
The connector is located on the left side of your battery.

Keep us posted if you continue to have the weird problem, or what you did to fix it.
Attachments

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Tue May 21, 2013 5:53 pm

FlashBack wrote:Thanks all. I have been exploring this site and there are some great DYI articles and discussions.
Had a wierd thing happen today though. Rode my 83 GoldWIng Interstate to work this morning and when i came out to leave, i tried to start it, heard a click then nothing. No indicator lights, horn, etc. Just dead.....Checked the dog bone it was fine.
I was able to get it going by jumping it. One thing i noticed was the indicator lights where flicking(Neutral light). Tried the turn signals and they where acting wierd as well.I was going to drive it home (30 miles) but it was running really rough, so i pulled back into our parking lot and was going to park it inside our recieving area and have my wife pick me up and address it over the weekend.
While i was getting the doors open, the bike smoothed out so decided to head home. I noticed that the charging was hanging out around 8 volts. What I have seen is charging at around 13.8-14 Volts. Adequate for charging a battery. Also, to get it to run smooth i found that if i played with the low/high beam switch, and find just the right spot in the middle, the bike ran smoother. I had to assume at this point i was not running off the battery any longer or at all for that matter.
I made it home, parked the bike and went to my daughters school performance. When i got back, i began investigating, got out the volt meter and started measuring voltage at the battery. Battery showed 13.8 volts with the ignition off. I placed the ingintion switch to ACC and had voltage on 2 of the fuses ( can't remember which ones. I despise getting older). Anyways, when i placed the ingition to the ON position I had no indicator lights, voltage at the fuses and the battery read 0.00 volts. When i placed the ingition switch to the OFF position, I had voltage again at the battery 13.7 now.

Hi all. I figured out what was going on and it was so simple, i can't believed i missed it. It was the Battery cable going from the battery to the starter relay. It appears that it was bad. I disconnected it from the battery and relay and it did not feel tightly wound as they should. A few twists later and reconnection and all is good. I have had no issues since. I will replace the cable soon.
As for the timing belts, i do plan on changing those soon. I will take the suggestion and read the article and delve into it. Also someone made a comment about the stator wires, i checked and it appears that the soldering was already performed.
I really do appreciate the comments and feedback from everyone. I have been having a great time riding again after so many years. :D

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks for the update Flashback. Glad you got it figured out. What did you mean by not tightly wound? Was it lose at the terminal where the wire seats and you just tightened it up?

Isn't it great to be riding? I got caught in the first total downpour of the year today, and as soon as I got her parked at home, the sun came out. Gonna go out in a bit again, and see if I can make it rain some more. After I ring out my clothes. :lol:

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Tue May 21, 2013 7:12 pm

FastBack......Great that you found your problem.

GettyUp, Hi Ho Silver, Away!

dwight

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Tue May 21, 2013 7:35 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:Thanks for the update Flashback. Glad you got it figured out. What did you mean by not tightly wound? Was it lose at the terminal where the wire seats and you just tightened it up?

Isn't it great to be riding? I got caught in the first total downpour of the year today, and as soon as I got her parked at home, the sun came out. Gonna go out in a bit again, and see if I can make it rain some more. After I ring out my clothes. :lol:

What i meant to say was that most battery cables feel tight against the cover of the cable. This felt like it had play. Make sense? The cable should replaced soon me thinks. That was a temporary solution twisting it. I imagine there is some corrosion going on given that the battery that was in the bike was completly devoid of any liquid content :D
It is great to be riding again. 23 years away from bikes was a long time. I have always had a bike from the time i was 5. So it is really fun to ride again. I'm older, wiser and safer these days :D
What i can't believe is i got my wife on board with me to get a bike again. Still scratching my head on that one :lol:
Took her for her first ride Saturday evening and she loved it. I was headed home and she told me to keep riding, so i think shes hooked.

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Tue May 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Interesting that you said the battery was dry when you bought it. When I bought my 83 Wing, I discovered that the battery was half empty. I filled her up with ionized water, and the battery went low another couple times before I really scratched my head on the issue. After driving I would shut her down and then squat down and listen at the battery, and there was that boiling noise "popping and fizzing" going on. So, my Wing was getting over-charged all the time, causing the electrolite to boil over. I got great advice from this site on how to bypass the connections that typically get a bit of corrosion and thus a false battery reading to the Rectifier/Regulator. By soldering and installing a Relay as they instructed, the boiling issue is now gone.

So, you may want to keep your eye (and ear) on that new battery and make sure she is not overcharging and boiling over.

dwight.

Joecop
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I
1972 Honda Chopper
1989 Yamaha FZR600
1981 Honda ATC 200cc

Postby Joecop » Tue May 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Welcome FlashBack,
Change timing belts for piece of mind.
Do the wire modification off the stator/basically cut that evil white plug and solder the wires.
Also don't by an manual this site makes them obsolete.
Glad to hear u returning to bikes!
GL1100 is a great bike!
Just my two cents. :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Definitely a bad battery. When you messed with the high beam switch, you managed to get it in between high and low, so the headlight turned off, which lessened the load considerably, providing more energy for spark, so the bike ran better.

Check your three yellow wires (do a search on "three yellow wires" here for more on that) and probably replace your battery.

whiteeaglepwl
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

Postby whiteeaglepwl » Sun May 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Welcome Flashback
You sure have a beautiful bike and this sight is wonderful. best punch a great guys on here they will help you with anything, If it was not for these guys I would have probably done got rid of it cos I cant afford to have a shop work on it. These guys have taught me everything so Welcome to the best sight for goldwings Have a great day
Phillip
\

imalbcnu2@msn.com
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate.

Postby imalbcnu2@msn.com » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Just had the opportunity to pick up a 1983 1100 . I always wanted one so I jumped at the chance after seeing the bike was last tabbed in 2014. After asking many questions about why. I was informed The owner rode this bike between his two cycle shops daily and One day it died on the road. So after storing it he decided to Salvage it.

This is beautiful Wing. Just needs some TLC. I take possession next Wed the 21st October.
Attachments

Joecop
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I
1972 Honda Chopper
1989 Yamaha FZR600
1981 Honda ATC 200cc

Postby Joecop » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:57 pm

Welcome.....Looks nice....take the time go through as much as u can. Hopefully it's an easy fix. These are nice bikes, all the help u need is right here.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:11 pm

Glad you are back to riding.

The easiest way to put it on the center stand is park the bike on a 2 x 6 and it is much easier to get the center stand under the bike.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”