clueless please help!!!!!!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dupeire2
Motorcycle: 1980 Honda gold wing gl1100 interstate

clueless please help!!!!!!

Postby dupeire2 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:31 pm

I have a 1980 gl1100 interstate. She road fine this morning but after sitting for a couple hours. She didn't want to start. After getting her goin she made a loud rattling sound upon acceleration in first gear and I had to give her full throttle to keep her runnin. She sputtered like she wasn't getting any gas.checked that and she was getting plenty gas. Let her idle she sounded fine. But when I gave her just a little juice she rattled spit and sputtered. I have no clue to were I should even start lookin and what to look for!

Britanicus
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 GoldWing

Re: clueless please help!!!!!!

Postby Britanicus » Thu May 16, 2013 12:10 am

I posted a similar question, the answer I got may or may not apply to you. It could be that the rattling sound when under load and under about 1500 rpm is coming form the primary chain and is a result of the carbs being out of sync.

I have made arrangements to get a carb sync tool and will be syncing mine Saturday morning before a long ride.

The sputtering could be in relation to the same thing or it could be coincidently non related.

my 2 cents worth.

Britanicus

Postby Britanicus » Thu May 16, 2013 1:41 am

I see you posted in my thread about carb syncing.

I am posting the link to the tool I am buying. I know wingadmin made his own and you can as well. I am just not very mechanically inclined so I would rather focus on teh job of syncing rather then worrying about making the tool and making sure it works etc.

http://www.speedaddictcycles.com/produc ... nizer.html

I will post pics of the process. I will be following all other instructions in WingAdmins guide, just using a store-bought tool.

If this goes well I may get up the nerve to do my own valve clearences and timing belts. wish me luck....

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Thu May 16, 2013 6:29 am

it's always better with the proper tools but you should be able to get a close bench sync right on the bike. remove the intake runners. this also gives you a chance to inspect the orings on the bottom. take something soft, like a dollar bill folded lengthwise (no sharp tools) and place it between the butterfly and the carb throat on number 3. adjust the idle speed screw ( count the number of turns, you'll need to turn it back later) so that you can remove the bill with a slight drag. now do the same with the other 3 carbs making adjustments with the sync screws. reassemble, reset the idle speed screw and start the bike. adjust rpm to 950 +/-100, you should be close.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu May 16, 2013 6:57 am

When did you last change the fuel filter?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu May 16, 2013 8:38 am

Point of interest......Ethanol gas can accumulate water...Some may end up in the bottom of the carb bowl...not enough to get into the idle jet but easily plug up the main jet....
Yes it happen to me on 2 different bikes...Trashy gunky stuff in one carb....
Drain each carb may help...it did on one but the other needed to be disassembled and cleaned.

dupeire2
Motorcycle: 1980 Honda gold wing gl1100 interstate

Postby dupeire2 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 am

Fuel filter was changed when I got last year the bike but it was full of rust. I have only ran high test gas in her

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu May 16, 2013 10:38 am

High octane fuel still can be sold with %10 ethanol.....
Only pumps that state No Ethanol gas reguardless of the octane rating.
My bikes didn't have enough change to warrant a higher octane fuel.It simply runs fine on 87.

Britanicus

Postby Britanicus » Thu May 16, 2013 5:33 pm

trashtruck wrote:it's always better with the proper tools but you should be able to get a close bench sync right on the bike. remove the intake runners. this also gives you a chance to inspect the orings on the bottom. take something soft, like a dollar bill folded lengthwise (no sharp tools) and place it between the butterfly and the carb throat on number 3. adjust the idle speed screw ( count the number of turns, you'll need to turn it back later) so that you can remove the bill with a slight drag. now do the same with the other 3 carbs making adjustments with the sync screws. reassemble, reset the idle speed screw and start the bike. adjust rpm to 950 +/-100, you should be close.

Any chance you can add a photo or 2 of what it is youre referring to?
I am not mechanically inclined and I just psyched myself up to adjust the idle and do a carb sync, now I am wondering wtf you are talking about. Lol, I was planning on doing the work Sasturday morning in advance of a long ride 1000km (ish)

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:43 pm

virgilmobile wrote:High octane fuel still can be sold with %10 ethanol.....
Only pumps that state No Ethanol gas reguardless of the octane rating.
My bikes didn't have enough change to warrant a higher octane fuel.It simply runs fine on 87.

If the dispenser is a blender, they have to say "up to 10%", as you might just buy a cup of fuel, which could be the regular, 10% ethanol that is left in the hose, so even though you paid for ethanol free high test, you've not bought that.

If you fill your tank, the % drop to miniscule.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:46 pm

Britanicus wrote:
trashtruck wrote:it's always better with the proper tools but you should be able to get a close bench sync right on the bike. remove the intake runners. this also gives you a chance to inspect the orings on the bottom. take something soft, like a dollar bill folded lengthwise (no sharp tools) and place it between the butterfly and the carb throat on number 3. adjust the idle speed screw ( count the number of turns, you'll need to turn it back later) so that you can remove the bill with a slight drag. now do the same with the other 3 carbs making adjustments with the sync screws. reassemble, reset the idle speed screw and start the bike. adjust rpm to 950 +/-100, you should be close.

Any chance you can add a photo or 2 of what it is youre referring to?
I am not mechanically inclined and I just psyched myself up to adjust the idle and do a carb sync, now I am wondering wtf you are talking about. Lol, I was planning on doing the work Sasturday morning in advance of a long ride 1000km (ish)

He's talking about bench syncing the carbs....while it might sync the carbs, it doesn't sync the engine, which it what you're trying to do.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Calzone
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Postby Calzone » Thu May 16, 2013 6:23 pm

All this advice is good and fine but you say it ran good and next it doesn't.
You also said the filter when changed was full of rust, It sorta sounds like you have a tank that needs cleaned out and possibly carbs clogged. The filter doesn't get all the rust out and microscopic particles can accumulate inside the float filter screens, and worse if your screens are missing or torn will get inside the carbs.
You need to find out if your getting fuel to the spark plugs, check and see if they are wet or dry. If they are wet then possibly you have an ignition problem, if dry then fuel supply.
Bike will rattle when not running on all 4 evenly so don't worry about that now.
You might try running the bike for a moment to fill the carb bowls, then put a small container under the carb bowl drain screw and drain each carb bowl. You should get about 50CC`s of fuel from each bowl, If the fuel you drain is contaminated with debris then just pull the rack of carbs out and do a thorough rebuild.
First though run it and pull the plugs.

tobeymcmullen
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 naked.Putting it back together

Postby tobeymcmullen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:56 pm

This has got to be the best explanation yet but would a straight pin be about the same or .30 feeler? I wanoder if the exact number is critical

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:28 am

Calzone wrote:All this advice is good and fine but you say it ran good and next it doesn't.
You also said the filter when changed was full of rust, It sorta sounds like you have a tank that needs cleaned out and possibly carbs clogged. The filter doesn't get all the rust out and microscopic particles can accumulate inside the float filter screens, and worse if your screens are missing or torn will get inside the carbs.
You need to find out if your getting fuel to the spark plugs, check and see if they are wet or dry. If they are wet then possibly you have an ignition problem, if dry then fuel supply.
Bike will rattle when not running on all 4 evenly so don't worry about that now.
You might try running the bike for a moment to fill the carb bowls, then put a small container under the carb bowl drain screw and drain each carb bowl. You should get about 50CC`s of fuel from each bowl, If the fuel you drain is contaminated with debris then just pull the rack of carbs out and do a thorough rebuild.
First though run it and pull the plugs.

+1, synching the carbs won't do you any good if you have other issues and the events you describe sound to me like other issues. Another thing to check is ignition. If you lost a coil then you lost two cylinders. The bike will sound like its idling fine while running on two cylinders but will not have any power and will not accelerate even under a no load condition properly. Since you had a sudden onset of these symptoms then I would suspect you have a problem that needs correcting and not an adjustment (synching) issue.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”