Cylinders flooding

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Joshrowlands
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 interstate

Cylinders flooding

Postby Joshrowlands » Thu May 16, 2013 10:22 pm

I have a 83 gl1100 that is pouring gas our of the exhaust on all four cylinders. Does anyone know what could cause this. I wouldn't think it would be the carbs because all 4 r doing it. Thanks

Calzone
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Re: Cylinders flooding

Postby Calzone » Thu May 16, 2013 10:41 pm

If you have a carb flooding it will flood into the plenum as well and from there it will flood all 4 so I think your going to have to pull the carbs, other then that only thing that could get past the float needles to flood them would be excessive fuel pressure, but with your mechanical pump I highly doubt it is the problem.
Pull the air filter and look down into the plenum and see if your flooding it.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri May 17, 2013 5:55 am

Also realize that a cold start could result in some water coming out the tailpipes from condensation throughout the system. It would smell like gas, but is not really. Could this possibly be the problem?
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Joshrowlands

Postby Joshrowlands » Fri May 17, 2013 10:08 am

How hard r the floAt to set on this bike

Calzone

Postby Calzone » Fri May 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Joshrowlands wrote:How hard r the floAt to set on this bike

Not too difficult but they have to be removed to adjust. Take the tank cover off then the air filter, the two bolts underneath the air cleaner then the whole air cleaner assembly. Then the accelerator cables(2) , I always remove the fuel filter and lines also, Then the 4 intake manifolds(gotta tug hard but be careful when they let loose and not to damage the rubber).
Now that the carbs are loose you need to push the carb rack over to the right side(fuel pump side) as far as possible and remove the two top caps and slides, put them in two bags/container marked 1 for number one(front) and three for number 3 cylinder(rear).
Then you slide the rack loose out the left side using one hand on each end you lift and turn till it comes out. Takes a little patience and maneuvering to get them out so be careful not to damage anything.
May be other things in the way like crash bars and do dads but that`s pretty much the basics.

Joshrowlands

Postby Joshrowlands » Fri May 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Yeah I have the carbs off already just need to find out how to set the floats

Calzone

Postby Calzone » Fri May 17, 2013 4:36 pm

No problem, Bowls off and set height to 15.5MM. What I do is use a buisness card and measure 15.5 into it and make a cut out that fits the float bowl surface. Sort of a home made pro type gauge. New float needles and seats are best even if you have to use K&L , The fine springs in the plunger loose mass and become softer and can cause a non positive seat but if you have faith in your float needles they can be re used.
Sometimes if the plunger spring is weak you need to set the floats while holding the carbs at an angle so the floats don't press on the pins. To change height just bend the tang directly above the needle.
While your in there be sure and pull the float seats and with a Qtip clean the seat contact area, look to see if the seat area is pitted..They do pit and would need replaced if they are. You need some light and magnification to see inside them.
Check and clean the screens under each float seat, check for debris as well as tears or breaches, I use a dull tipped small pointy thing and gently press on the screen fabric, again use some magnification, head sets,reading glasses if you need them.
I highly suggest after you button it up you take them outside and hook up a 6 FT fuel line with a funnel attached and wired up and fill the fuel line and part of the funnel and let it sit a bit, refill funnel if necessary and look for leaks in the throats of each carb and the plenum area, also the tubes that link each carburetor. Going back While the bowls are off I would also run a water pic with clean distilled water into the accelerator pump passage and make sure your pump jets are all squirting the same, you`ll need to take some wire and wire your throttle open to see and let the accelerator pump jets flow. These pump jets are probably one of the most neglected parts of the carb and they will work clogged but you will always feel something is lacking with performance.
You can also use air to check the jets, just feel for even flow.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:10 pm

Check your gas cap. It may not be venting.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Joshrowlands

Postby Joshrowlands » Sat May 18, 2013 1:05 am

R u saying that if it is not vented right it will let to much gas flow into the carbs

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sat May 18, 2013 11:50 pm

If the gas cap can not vent the pressure out of the tank when it heats, up that pressure can exceed the float valves seal. 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”