Cleaning gas tank

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Cleaning gas tank

Postby aznyaz » Sat May 18, 2013 10:01 pm

I am having my carbs rebuilt and have decided to do several things in the meantime, one of them being a recommended tank cleaning. The rebuilder said to use Evap O Rust but it cost $25/gal. and I'd need 5 gallons, so I've decided to go the vinegar route. The tank is empty except for a few squirts of gas that will be sopped up. The question(s) I have are how long should the vinegar stay in the tank and can I spray the inside of the tank with a marine fogging oil after the cleaning to prevent flash rust, and can I just fill the tank up without rinsing out the fogging oil?

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Re: Cleaning gas tank

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:58 am

Here is a link to a guy doing a rebuild. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15198 In his tank cleaning (about 2/3rds down in page 1) he let his sit for a week. If you have time to let it sit that long, I would let it sit for at least 4 days to a week. Check out how he did his. And if you use STA-BIL 22001 Fogging Oil, you will not need to rinse it out before you add gas. Ideally, adding gas to the top right after derusting is the best thing to do. I use Metal Rescue ($20 per gal) and I can reuse it for about 5 tanks. When I do smaller tanks, 2 to 3 gallons, I always add gas right away. But if you have your tank out, adding the forty pounds to it before you put it back in would be a drag, and perhaps dangerous.

Others with good knowledge may chime in here, but I'll give you what I would do...Let it set for 4 to 7 days, fog it. Fill with gas as soon as you have it back on. Keep us posted. Pictures are fun to follow you along.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Sun May 19, 2013 7:07 am

Thanks for posting the link. Greg's got a lot of good info. for me to study. He already answered two questions about soaking the sending unit and the tank. Seems like a no-brainer, but I like to be sure. I'm not getting my carbs back until the end of the week, so the vinegar is going in today and will come out Friday. He had some good pics, too. I'll be posting some later. My tank isn't anywhere as bad as his but I may as well do it during the down time. Have to do it in place, though. I'm not ripping into the bike like Greg, I've got to ride!

The fogging oil I've got is West Marine and CRC, both pretty generic. Is there something about STA-BIL that makes it better?

Thanks in advance.

MJ

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun May 19, 2013 8:11 am

Muractic acid another way 50/50 mix and an hour or two will clean the tank..dump it out and look if not how yoiu like it put it back in..about the same cost as 5 gallons a vinegar and lots faster..also a dip of the gauge for a few minutes will clean it up. It's $4 a gallon in any pool store.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Sun May 19, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks, I might try that.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:44 pm

aznyaz wrote:The fogging oil I've got is West Marine and CRC, both pretty generic. Is there something about STA-BIL that makes it better?

I do not know. It is just that I have used the STA-BIL fogging oil personally, and did not need to rinse it before adding fuel. The West Marine and CRC may well do the same, it is just that I have no experience with them.

If you do use the Muriatic acid method, make sure you rinse VERY, VERY well. Seeing as that you are leaving the tank on while you soak it, rinsing may be a bit more difficult. Muriatic acid, or Hydrochloric acid as it is sometimes referred to, is made from sulfuric acid and common salt. And NO engines like salt.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Some have used toilet cleaner for about a 2-3 hours. They say it claens real good.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Sun May 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Well, I went ahead and put vinegar in the tank. Looks like it might do just fine because I did a little test soak on the sending unit and after about 5 hours you could see it start to fade the rust and make it easy to scratch off. I put the sending unit back in so it could soak, too and filled the tank up to the neck so I could get the cap in the vinegar as well. I'll be leaving it in for the whole week.

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby Fulcrum » Mon May 20, 2013 1:01 pm

If your taking the tank out you just cant beat Metal Rescue. A gallon will work, two is better, but you just can't beat it. I used a gallon on my rusted out tank and after 2 days of rotating it to get full coverage it came out looking brand new. Pat and I swear by it cause IT WORKS! Forget dumping a bunch of screws in a tank and shaking it up, then spending a week waiting for vinegar to do the job that is not even close to MR. Pour it in, wait a day or two. Brand new tank.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”