Radiator removal

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Radiator removal

Postby aznyaz » Sun May 19, 2013 9:28 pm

I am trying to remove the radiator and I seem to be hitting a brick wall. I've got all the nuts and bolts off and the radiator loose but I can only get the top hose off of the thermostat housing, I just can't get any leverage on the lower hose to pull it off the water pump cover. I am also not quite sure where the fan motor connection is.

Can anyone give me any pointers or advice pulling this hose and getting it back on?

Thanks.

MJ

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Radiator removal

Postby RBGERSON » Mon May 20, 2013 8:10 am

You take the whole pump elbow off just two bolts and work on it on the bench..or cut it off..sounds like it should be replaced anyway..small slice light don't nick the metal..should bend right off. the fan switch is on the top front of the motor following the wires once radiator is off...putting a new hose in hot water will soften it up for install or a little Vaseline or veggie oil to lube it up.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Mon May 20, 2013 11:29 am

Thank you for the info. So, there's really no way to pull the lower hose off the pump elbow without either cutting the hose or pulling the elbow off? The hoses appear to be fairly new, very stiff but pliable. Just no way to pull it off. There's an 'O' ring right under the elbow. Would it need to be replaced, and if so would any 46 x 2 (as called for in the parts manual) work? I asked a local
'O' ring supplier what compound would be used in a cooling system and he said "buna" would be for automotive use. Any thoughts?

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:59 am

aznyaz wrote:Thank you for the info. So, there's really no way to pull the lower hose off the pump elbow without either cutting the hose or pulling the elbow off? The hoses appear to be fairly new, very stiff but pliable. Just no way to pull it off. There's an 'O' ring right under the elbow. Would it need to be replaced, and if so would any 46 x 2 (as called for in the parts manual) work? I asked a local
'O' ring supplier what compound would be used in a cooling system and he said "buna" would be for automotive use. Any thoughts?

You can change the hoses for cheap. Napa hose# 7733 $13.88 cut in half, just match them up with the old ones before you cut. Might as well while you have the radiator off. Maybe look at the thread of the link below...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16482&p=87039&hilit=radiator+hose#p87039

Most likely, the O-ring won't need replacing, unless it is leaking, or has been squished. Just be careful with it. But if you do need to replace it, just make sure it is Viton, or similar material as it is more heat and fluid resistant. Good to 400 degrees and fine with anti-freeze. When the o-ring guy said "buna", the material was initially marketed with the brand name Buna S. Its name derives from Bu for butadiene and Na for sodium (natrium in several languages) The material of buna is actually styrene-butadiene. Whatever you use, it just needs to be heat and anti-freeze resistant.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Tue May 21, 2013 5:58 am

Thank you, for both the link and the tech info. The hoses just feel pretty new and now that I know about taking the elbow off with the lower hose, I won't be wrestling with it. I'll also check the original 'O' ring and re-use it if it looks OK. Not sure of the 'O' ring I got yesterday and will wait to get an OEM ring.

Thanks again.

MJ

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”