stiff clutch lever

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
glasshead
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

stiff clutch lever

Postby glasshead » Sun May 26, 2013 8:14 am

The clutch lever on my 83 Interstate has been getting stiffer all the time. I have adjusted it at the clutch housing and at the lever. Sometimes it is a little easier than others, but lately it is takes major squeezing to pull. It also doesn't engage until the lever is almost all the way out. If I adjust the cable so that the clutch engages when the lever is somewhere past half way, it leaves about 1/4 inch of play in the lever. I have also tried rerouting the cable to see if it helps. It did a little but it got harder. It is a new cable, I replaced it last summer.
The clutch does not seem to be slipping at all, don't notice any lack of acceleration with rpm change. Any ideas?

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: stiff clutch lever

Postby redial » Sun May 26, 2013 11:47 pm

Have you tried some white lithium grease on the cable? It might have dried out, and the internal resistance is making it harder.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

glasshead
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Postby glasshead » Mon May 27, 2013 9:01 am

I sprayed some graphite on as much of the cable as I could get to. The cable is moving very freely in the sheath. I forgot to mention that I had played around with the handle bar positions. I had them pulled down kind of far. When I moved them back up, it helped a lot. My big question is, how hard of a pull should the lever be? If it is normally pretty stiff, is that why Honda went to the hydraulic clutch? Also, when the bike is on the center stand, the back wheel turns pretty much right away when letting out the clutch lever, but when on the ground, the bike doesn't move until it is almost all the way out. Is that normal?

rich

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 28, 2013 1:27 pm

glasshead wrote:I sprayed some graphite on as much of the cable as I could get to. The cable is moving very freely in the sheath. I forgot to mention that I had played around with the handle bar positions. I had them pulled down kind of far. When I moved them back up, it helped a lot. My big question is, how hard of a pull should the lever be? If it is normally pretty stiff, is that why Honda went to the hydraulic clutch? Also, when the bike is on the center stand, the back wheel turns pretty much right away when letting out the clutch lever, but when on the ground, the bike doesn't move until it is almost all the way out. Is that normal?

rich

That's normal. There is always some amount of friction in the multiplate clutch, even when declutched, so that when the wheel is off the ground, it can be turning (but you should be able to stop it with a very light touch of your foot).

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby mytown » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Consider lubricating the clutch lever pivot bolt, part#22. That was my problem when I found this post:

That bolt normally remains stationary when the lever is operated. Remove the nut that holds the bolt. The clutch lever holder is threaded, so after the nut is removed, the bolt needs to be unscrewed. I damaged the threads thinking that after the nut is removed the bolt could simply be tapped up and out.

I used WD40 here and there. After spraying I tried to turn the screw out but it took awhile before it would budge, and even then it would only turn a few degrees at a time, so it was spray, turn a little, spray turn a little etc. I'd say it's better to spray well, protect from overspray (much better than I did :oops:) then wait a few hours before trying to unscrew.

Once the bolt was removed, I cleaned up, applied some grease and reassembled.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:24 pm

I am having the same thing on my 83. I had the mechanic put in a new cable-still hard to squeeze. Asked him about it and he said

"I am getting diminished hand strength due to my age"

But others have squeezed my clutch and they also think it it hard-but they have the 1800's .
So I just ride it like it is.

80-GL100-INT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate (current)
Previously Owned:
1981 CB 750 Custom
1976 CB 750 Super Sport (punched to 900)
1986 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1974 Suzuki 550
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 (First Street Bike-way back in '88)

Postby 80-GL100-INT » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:34 pm

mytown wrote:Consider lubricating the clutch lever pivot bolt, part#22. That was my problem when I found this post:

That bolt normally remains stationary when the lever is operated. Remove the nut that holds the bolt. The clutch lever holder is threaded, so after the nut is removed, the bolt needs to be unscrewed. I damaged the threads thinking that after the nut is removed the bolt could simply be tapped up and out.

I used WD40 here and there. After spraying I tried to turn the screw out but it took awhile before it would budge, and even then it would only turn a few degrees at a time, so it was spray, turn a little, spray turn a little etc. I'd say it's better to spray well, protect from overspray (much better than I did :oops:) then wait a few hours before trying to unscrew.

Once the bolt was removed, I cleaned up, applied some grease and reassembled.

This was my problem too. Mine came apart pretty easy, but was pretty crudded up in there. Much smoother now.
If "WE THE PEOPLE" don't defend our rights...Who will?
"Government's first duty is protect the people, not run their lives."...Ronald Reagan

http://www.powdercoat.tk/

David-Mantle
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100AD
1980 CB400N

Postby David-Mantle » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:26 am

I found that even with new cable and all parts well lubricated and free that the clutch was always on the heavy side even though it was very smooth. I converted mine to hydraulic by using end cover and hydraulic cylinder from the 1984 1200 engine which fits straight on. I now have a clutch that my arthritic hand finds easy to operate. It might seem a little extreme for some but the work was worthwhile and I am so happy with the result.
Just a thought - hope it helps.

The only silly question is the one you don`t ask. Everything else is game.

http://www.ngwclub.com/shoptalk/
http://yuq.me/users/24/690/5CwYRzT8lx.gif

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”