Front Tire

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
whiteeaglepwl
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

Front Tire

Postby whiteeaglepwl » Sun May 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Hey all got a quick question. Just got done replacing front tire. Put it all back together and I turned the wheel before I put the brake pads on it everything worked good. I put the brake pads on and it turned free. Till I depressed the brake now it is kind of hard to roll acts like it is dragging my friend said that it would free up when I rode it. what do you all think, would it be safe to try it or am I missing something, Thanks Phillip

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Re: Front Tire

Postby trashtruck » Sun May 26, 2013 6:56 pm

if it's a severe drag, check the tiny return port in the master cylinder. it clogs quite easily. otherwise, there is nothing to apply backwards pressure to the caliper pistons other than the rotor spinning.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

whiteeaglepwl

Postby whiteeaglepwl » Sun May 26, 2013 7:28 pm

Ok trashtruck I will check that out in the master cylinder Thanks for the info Have a great day Phillip

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:41 pm

whiteeaglepwl wrote:Hey all got a quick question. Just got done replacing front tire. Put it all back together and I turned the wheel before I put the brake pads on it everything worked good. I put the brake pads on and it turned free. Till I depressed the brake now it is kind of hard to roll acts like it is dragging my friend said that it would free up when I rode it. what do you all think, would it be safe to try it or am I missing something, Thanks Phillip

I don't like to say stuff is safe, just to be safe, if that makes sense. But here are a couple questions for ya. Did you do the turning and brake on thing before you changed the tire out? Trashtruck is right, only rotor turn and road vibration will move the pads back. But if it were me, I would take it for a little ride, and see if it frees up. Don't go too fast though. You should be able to notice if it is bound up and not releasing pretty easily.

If it still binds, and it didn't before, yes the very tiny hole CAN be plugged in the master cylinder. But first I would check the clearances between the caliper mount and the rotor as per this how to...viewtopic.php?f=11&t=68 item #21 and make sure they are adjusted right before I aimed at the return fluid hole.

But I do believe a short ride will get you going, but if not, it is a pretty easy fix. Keep us posted.

whiteeaglepwl

Postby whiteeaglepwl » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Hey all
Took the bike out and it was ok but 1 thing the rotter on the right side it not working and the left 1 is working to hard so it is getting hot, should I rebuild the right rotter? I tried bleeding them but still have and good pressure on the brake handle it goes all the way back, and still the right rotter is cold. If I take the pads off the pistons come out when I mash the brake handle so I trying to figure out what to do next.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:11 pm

whiteeaglepwl wrote:Hey all
Took the bike out and it was ok but 1 thing the rotter on the right side it not working and the left 1 is working to hard so it is getting hot, should I rebuild the right rotter? I tried bleeding them but still have and good pressure on the brake handle it goes all the way back, and still the right rotter is cold. If I take the pads off the pistons come out when I mash the brake handle so I trying to figure out what to do next.

More questions for you. I'm just trying to get a clearer picture in my head so I can help....The caliper on the right is not squeezing the brake pads at all? The left side is getting hot from working too hard, or because it is not releasing? Sounds to me like something is in the line. Here is what I would do...

1. Clean out the tiny return port in the master cylinder. This article I am putting a link to, has a good picture of where it is. It is # 8a in the article as you scroll down. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46...
2. After you clean out the tiny hole, completely remove ALL the old brake fluid. Purge out the lines with fresh, high quality brake fluid.

If the above doesn't solve it, you may need to rebuild calipers. I got the parts from my local Honda dealer for around 15 bucks. The secret to a good rebuild is to get the area where the seals go VERY clean of the lime like buildup. Here is an excellent How To post by the admin of the site. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44

whiteeaglepwl

Postby whiteeaglepwl » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:32 pm

Hey all
Wanted to post at let you all know that I took the caliber and cleaned it up and put it all back together, bleed the system and now everything is working great so thanks to you guys it is up and running great thanks to you all for all the help you gave me,
Phillip

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”