Bike electrically dead after clutch cable swap...

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
misterwoofie
Motorcycle: '82 GL1100

Bike electrically dead after clutch cable swap...

Postby misterwoofie » Wed May 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Hey guys, first poster here just hoping for some help. The clutch cable on my old GL1100 needed to get swapped, however after I replaced the old one for the new one, the bike wouldn't turn on. It's behaving like it doesn't have a battery in it at all. I thought my battery was dead, and like a stooge I forgot to actually test the battery, went and bought a new one. Still dead.

I've checked fuses and connectors, and everything looks okay to me. Problem is, I'm not exactly experienced or knowledgeable when it comes to wiring. So I'm at a total loss at this point. Any suggestions or help would be deeply appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Bike electrically dead after clutch cable swap...

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 29, 2013 1:22 pm

If you switch the ignition to "P" (park) do the taillights come on?

misterwoofie

Postby misterwoofie » Wed May 29, 2013 2:46 pm

negative, got no response at all. My old man came over and had a look, tested the ignition switch with a volt meter and according to him there's no power in the switch. I dunno if that means much though.

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Wed May 29, 2013 4:21 pm

have you checked the main fuse @ the starter solenoid, near the back of the battery?
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

misterwoofie

Postby misterwoofie » Wed May 29, 2013 5:10 pm

yeah, the fuse on the solenoid looked fine. no discoloration, warping, or anything that would indicate a bad fuse.

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby trashtruck » Wed May 29, 2013 5:48 pm

turn bike to on. test for 12v on red and red/white wires @ the solenoid. the red wire goes to the ignition. if you get 12v @ solenoid, but not ignition switch then the wire has a short somewhere. if you don't get 12v @ solenoid, bypass the main fuse with an inline 30A or the solenoid may be bad.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:21 am

Hi misterwoofie, welcome to the site. You say you had this problem start after you swapped out the clutch cable? Coincidence? Maybe, but none the less, you need to track it down. That dogbone fuse can look fine, but it doesn't mean it IS fine. It is quick to take it off and inspect it. Many of us replace that with an in line blade type fuse. Here is what I would do...

1. Check battery power with V meter.
2. Check the dogbone fuse. (take it off and amp meter it).
3. Check all connections like the ground, terminal to the solenoid, etc. and make sure the connection is clean, and the wires are seated well in the terminals.
4. Check solenoid for positive operation.
5. Trace wires that may have been affected when you replaced the clutch cable. (Maybe it wasn't just a coincidence).

Let us know what you found out, and we will all try to help you figure it out.

misterwoofie

Postby misterwoofie » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:23 am

hey guys, sorry for takin' so long to reply. Kinda hectic the past few days. Got her fixed! Silliest oversight ever. Definitely learned off this one.

So when Trashtruck gave me his if:then list, I thought I had a short somewhere and tried tracking down where it could be. No luck. So I went back and rechecked just about everything I did, and everything still looked good. Patbrandon1 probably saved my hide on this one though, when he mentioned checking the firmness of my connections. I initially thought to myself "haven't I already done this?" but having no problem looking over things again and again to see what I was missing I did it anyway. Almost missed it totally, but my ground wire had a VERY poor connection on that little darn bracket that its on.

I guess when I changed out my clutch wire, and took off the bracket on the other side of the bike that I didn't tighten down the fastener enough. Apparently it holds down a bolt (really long thing that goes clean through to the other bracket) that's connected to the ground wire. Without that tension I had a really poor connection, and it just wasn't doing the job right. I guess the devil really is in the details eh?

Thanks a LOT to you guys, I wouldn't have been able to catch this without ya. =D

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”