crossthreaded bolt through shock into transfer case

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
johngagen
Motorcycle: 1982 goldwing interstate

crossthreaded bolt through shock into transfer case

Postby johngagen » Wed May 29, 2013 8:12 pm

I did it now!

When I removed and replace my rear wheel I found that as I unscrewed the back shock. the bolt was stuck in the shock and the whole post screwed out of the transmission hub or transfer case(whatever its called)

Instead of dealing with it correctly I was lazy and tried to put it back that way too,but of course couldn't line it up by feel and its in there but crossthreaded. For the time being I tightened it up and its rideable but I'm gonna have to go back to it and correct this problem.

Does any one have any experience with that situation. I'm assuming I'll have to drill it out put that threaded thing in there and use a new bolt(sorry can't remember the terminolgy)

trashtruck
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Re: crossthreaded bolt through shock into transfer case

Postby trashtruck » Wed May 29, 2013 8:40 pm

i'm not convinced using a helicoil on a shock mount is a good idea.
WHAT IS THE SPEED OF DARK?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 30, 2013 8:22 pm

I suppose you could take it out, drill and tap the hole slightly larger, then put a stud in there that has the larger thread on one half, and the old, smaller thread size on the other.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri May 31, 2013 8:31 am

First type of repair I would try is to retap the hole with the correct size tap and install a new bolt. Many times chasing the thread w/the correct tap size will correct the cross-thread condition and all will be fine.
Once retapped, if the new bolt will torque to the correct spec, one should be good to go!
Don't make a repair anymore difficult than it needs to be! Start with the easiest "fix", go from there!

johngagen
Motorcycle: 1982 goldwing interstate

Postby johngagen » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:19 am

thanks for the opinions...I'll update you once i get to it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:14 am

tfdeputydawg wrote:First type of repair I would try is to retap the hole with the correct size tap and install a new bolt. Many times chasing the thread w/the correct tap size will correct the cross-thread condition and all will be fine.
Once retapped, if the new bolt will torque to the correct spec, one should be good to go!
Don't make a repair anymore difficult than it needs to be! Start with the easiest "fix", go from there!

That's true, and that would likely be my first attempt as well. Remember though it's going into aluminum, so the threads are not overly strong to begin with. I would probably use some high-strength "permanent" Loctite when threading that stud in as well.

t2oldbikes
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100i

Postby t2oldbikes » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:11 am

Try all the easy solutions first, especially tapping the hole with the same size tap. In a pinch what we did years ago was to file a flat into an extra bolt perpendicular to the centerline lengthwise. It would make a sort of cutting edge to clean up the threads.
If worse comes to worse there should be no problem with a properly installed heli-coil. They are used all the time in soft materials that have to be removed and mounted again frequent times. Have yet to see one come out or let go.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”