Carbs re-build re-cap

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Carbs re-build re-cap

Postby aznyaz » Fri May 31, 2013 9:42 am

Hello to all and thanks to those that have helped me along the way. For the past 4 weeks or so I've been involved in a carb re-build and I'd like to list what I went through during the process. First, the carb removal was actually more difficult than the re-installation, mainly because of the interference of the back of the fan motor which I didn't move until I got involved in coolant leak repair caused by a bad "O" ring on the left outside coolant tube/joint connection to the head (I also wanted to check the condition of the timing belts). I had about a week and a half of waiting to get my carbs back. That, along with some personal issues that delayed my progress put me at roughly the 3 weeks mark. During this time I was also soaking the inside of my tank with vinegar because the tank had some rust build-up, nothing too extreme though. I felt like I wasn't quite ready for the electrolysis method but I think I may need to do that one because there is still some rust as well as what appears to be sediment of some sort adhering itself to the bottom of the tank. I tried to get all the loose stuff out but this is sticking to the tank. Could it possibly be remnants of baking soda rinse? Anyway, after getting the carbs back, while still soaking the tank I removed the radiator to examine the timing belts. I was given some good advice on removing the water pump elbow connector along with the radiator and lower hose because it is just TOO difficult to pull that hose off of the connector. This proved to be very useful. After checking the timing belts and cleaning the very dirty belt covers (something black and tar-like had dripped all over the left cover and some of the frame) I was challenged, to say the least by the right side timing belt cover gasket (I didn't realize that the silicon-like substance that kept it in place would be missed when trying to re-install the cover). I did not have any silicon caulk to keep it in place so I opted for some bathtub caulk sparingly dabbed along the gasket to keep it in place. That finally done, I was ready to re-install the radiator, and this was by far the biggest PITA of the entire project. The radiator went in with a little bit of help but I had neglected to install the upper shroud piece so I had to remove the radiator to put this on. This was where all the fun started because I could not position the radiator over the studs because the shroud was always interfering with the placement. To make a long story short (at least this part) I had to re-shape the shroud by dimpling the metal at a point where it hit the frame which prevented me from sliding the radiator onto the studs (the interference was not from the horn mounting tabs either). Sorry if this is getting long, but we're almost finished. So, while the radiator was not quite fully installed I re-installed the carbs which went surprisingly well with little gnashing of teeth. Got all of the connections handled, finished the radiator install and flushed out the tank with at least 2 rinses of baking soda and water solution and a clear water rinse, vacuumed and dried out, then filled with fresh gas. All I can say is the carb re-build has made a huge difference. I now have full throttle response and improved gas mileage. I'm still experiencing some sputtering upon deceleration but acceleration is pretty smooth. The rebuilders (recommended by Randaaks) say to use about 1/2 an ounce of Sta-Bil per tankful of gas to combat moisture. I was also wondering here if I could use Seafoam on top of that to help keep things clean in the carbs.

So, to finish, I only ask about the condition of my tank and possible baking soda remnants and the use of Seafoam on top of the Sta-Bil.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy post.

MJ

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Re: Carbs re-build re-cap

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri May 31, 2013 10:45 am

My understanding of Seafoam is that is is also a fuel stabilizer like Stabil so the use of them both is redundant.
The Stabil is a good idea to keep the fuel fresh - I use it when I store my bikes for winter here in Wisconsin but during the riding season I prefer Seafoam to perform the stbilization and also the cleaning process...
Just my 2¢ ;)
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Fri May 31, 2013 10:57 am

OK, so does the Seafoam have more cleaning ability? I'm wondering if I might still have some tainted gas coming out of my tank.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri May 31, 2013 11:17 am

aznyaz wrote:OK, so does the Seafoam have more cleaning ability? I'm wondering if I might still have some tainted gas coming out of my tank.

That is my understanding and experience. Seafoam is like a tune up in a can.
But it won't prevent rust from moving into your carbs (Stabil won't either)
Where is the "tainted" gas coming from..? Drain the tank and add new fresh fuel
:idea:

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri May 31, 2013 11:20 am

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Fri May 31, 2013 11:43 am

As I said earlier, I may not have cleaned the tank as good as could be done. I did drain it and soaked it for a week with vinegar, rinsed with baking soda and water solution to neutralize the vinegar and then rinse with clear water. The gas is fresh and each tankful, 2 so far has been treated with Sta-Bil. The tank is definitely cleaner than it was at the start. I'll give the Seafoam treatment next tank to see what happens. I was thinking if the tank wasn't fully cleaned or rinsed could that taint the new gas.

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby Fulcrum » Fri May 31, 2013 5:03 pm

this is why I love Metal Rescue. No hassles. Don't need to flush the tank out afterwards and you will not have any rust left after the MR. Just drain it out and you'r ready for gas in the tank. It just doesn't get any easier than that and you can't get a tank any cleaner than you can with MR. Depending on how well you flushed out the tank after the vinegar and if any baking residue is still left that will get dissolved back into the gas and into the fuel system. Not sure if a miniscule amount will cause any serious harm but after a few tank fill ups any residue should be gone and everything should be running normally.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:39 am

Thanks for the input! I'll check out Metal Rescue.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:13 am

aznyaz wrote:That finally done, I was ready to re-install the radiator, and this was by far the biggest PITA of the entire project. The radiator went in with a little bit of help but I had neglected to install the upper shroud piece so I had to remove the radiator to put this on. This was where all the fun started because I could not position the radiator over the studs because the shroud was always interfering with the placement. To make a long story short (at least this part) I had to re-shape the shroud by dimpling the metal at a point where it hit the frame which prevented me from sliding the radiator onto the studs (the interference was not from the horn mounting tabs either).

You did right. That radiator shroud is the biggest nightmare on the bike, and bending it like you did is the only way to keep yourself sane - and it makes it much easier to remove and replace in the future.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks, Wingadmin. It's nice to hear when you've done something right. My only question: if it came off without any major trouble, why did it cause so much trying to get it back on?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:55 pm

aznyaz wrote:Thanks, Wingadmin. It's nice to hear when you've done something right. My only question: if it came off without any major trouble, why did it cause so much trying to get it back on?

You got me - but we're definitely not the only ones who have experienced this.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”