starter bolt broke off inside block-PLEASE HELP....

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
carl langendorf
Motorcycle: 82 gl1100 interstate

starter bolt broke off inside block-PLEASE HELP....

Postby carl langendorf » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:29 pm

I'm new here and this is my first "real" bike, its 82 gl1100. The starter gave out on me a week ago and i removed the starter, the bottom bolt came out really easy, almost like it was just hanging there anyway, and i didnt think anything of it until today when I got my new starter, the post on the old one just spun, when I layed on the ground to put the starter in is when i saw the broken bolt inside of the motor, i tried to drill it out but that doesn't seem to b working but instead it's trying to drill a new hole in the soft block. There isn't anything to grab onto to try and back this bolt out and now I'm assuming that this motor is total garbage now because there isn't anything to bolt this starter to. If anyone has any ideas or anything like that PLEASE HELP or should I now just part this bike out? :evil:

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: starter bolt broke off inside block-PLEASE HELP....

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:51 pm

go to napaa or any hardware store and buy a reverse bit(eazy out). It drills the opposite way a normal bitt does and usually the broken bolt comes right out.

carl langendorf

Postby carl langendorf » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:26 am

would i drill into the broken bolt with this? the bolt broke off at the block so it was flush with the block and i tried to drill it out however the drill bit barely even scratched the surface.........

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:33 am

Yes, you must drill into the broken bolt. You may not get much of a hole started, and the reverse bit may "unwind" the bolt while you are trying to drill it. Do not attempt to do this with a fast drill. Use a slow speed. If it is flush with the block, you can also cut a slot in the bolt end with a dremel type tool with a cutting disk in it. Then you could try a screwdriver to get the bolt out. One way or another, you need to get that bolt out, and it will come out.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:53 am

If all else fails get someone with a Mig welder to build onto the broken bolt or weld a nut to it.Usually with the heat from the Mig it will spin out pretty easily.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

carl langendorf

Postby carl langendorf » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:25 am

thank you very much i will try this tonight when i get home, my brother had also suggested putting a notch in it and then putting a screwdriver in it while trying to heat it up, i just didnt want to do any further damage to the block, this is a strong running wing, i didnt pay alot for it and havent done anything to it except replace the brake pads and now the starter. anyway thank you for the advice and the newly found courage to not have to scrap this wing......i will keep u updated on this.

wingit11
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1990 GL1500SE/California Sidecar Friendship III

Postby wingit11 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Would not hurt to liberally spray it with penetrating oil and let it soak in till you are ready to actually remove the bolt stub.

carl langendorf

Postby carl langendorf » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:33 am

Well I went n got the left handed easy out drill bit and it came right out had to fetal the threads a little but then I broke a second bolt trying to tighten it down but there was enuff there to back it out with pliers I got a harder bolt and was back on the road in no time at all. Thank you everyone for your advice it really helped without causing anymore damage and all is well I am back in the breeze. RIDE SAFE EVERYBODY

wingit11
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1990 GL1500SE/California Sidecar Friendship III

Postby wingit11 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:50 am

carl langendorf wrote:Well I went n got the left handed easy out drill bit and it came right out had to fetal the threads a little but then I broke a second bolt trying to tighten it down but there was enuff there to back it out with pliers I got a harder bolt and was back on the road in no time at all. Thank you everyone for your advice it really helped without causing anymore damage and all is well I am back in the breeze. RIDE SAFE EVERYBODY

Good news. Got to love it when a plan comes together. I had a similar problem with a used GL1500 I bought and needed to replace the engine. Had a few bolts that seized. One that I got part way out and could not move any further as it was bent inside the hole. Was able to get between the frame and bracket and hack saw the head off and with calculated brute force and ignorance (and vice grips) I was able to get it out. It is a good feeling when you can save the day. Enjoy your ride.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:11 am

glad you are back on the road and not thinking of parting the bike out.

t2oldbikes
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100i

Postby t2oldbikes » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Perhaps a good reason to use anti-sieze on assembly? Aluminum tends to corrode a bit around steel.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”