Maximum Air Pressure-Suspension

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tunaboy
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Maximum Air Pressure-Suspension

Postby tunaboy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:18 am

I have a '80 1100 standard. The max pressure for the front is 14-21# and the back is 28-42#. I think I have seen up to 59# listed for the rear. I would like to firm up the suspension a bit. Can I safely bump my PSI up to a higher level front and back and not blow seals? I know that there was a front fork change but I am not sure when...I think 82.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Maximum Air Pressure-Suspension

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:09 pm

The seals will blow if you exceed the max air pressures. If you really want to fix the suspension problems instead of trying a bandaid solution, install a set of Progressive Suspension springs front and rear. They will bring the bike back to its proper ride height, firm up the handling and make the bike safer to ride. The stock springs in your bike are over 30 years old and have lost a lot of their ability to do the job. I bet that its a chore to put the bike on its centre stand isn't it? Does the tail end wallow in the twisties? do you scrape the center stand if you hit a dip in a corner or feel the rear bottom out? All of these are because of old ,tired springs. New springs are not very expensive and are easy enough to install. If you get lost in the process we are here to help. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

tunaboy

Postby tunaboy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:01 pm

You are very right about the center stand being a bear to use. I see the fork springs on E bay for about $85 delivered. I do not see the rear springs for the shocks, where do I look? I hope that the guy from Arizona reads this. He was giving me some flack about getting the bike up on the center stand, wanted to know if I was spending any time in the gym? I knew getting the bike up on the center stand was more than it should be. I may have to hop on the old wing, head to Arizona to show him what a nice Wing looks like and maybe serve a warm knuckle sandwich. Just kidding of course, too long a ride and he may be a monster size guy.

Tuna

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 am

I bought mine from Amazonbut that was a few years ago. Wait I found you these
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Suspe ... motorcycle

You may as well order new seals from the dealer and new slider bushings for the front forks, all totaled you will be into it for less than $200 and you will have NEW suspension front and rear. Cant beat that with a stick. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

tunaboy

Postby tunaboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:20 am

Hey RR thanks for the info. on the shock springs. So far this spring I have upgraded fuel lines, fuel filter, new timing belts, plug caps-wires, cleaned-bench sync carbs, and a bunch of other things. I had a pro do the bench sync and the bike runs and idles so nice I don't want to put the gauges and mess up a very good running bike. The bench sync thing looks pretty easy and I do think I could do the same myself. A tank or 2 with Seafoam and I am in business. I can't tell you how happy I am to have my bike back after a 2 year lay up. This site was instrumental in getting my initial problem solved. (CDI Boxes)
THANKS ALL

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”