no take off power at low rpm why?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
NK-biker79
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100i

no take off power at low rpm why?

Postby NK-biker79 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:05 pm

OK my 1983 gl 1100. got no balls to start going, have to feather the clutch and then about 2200 or so rpm's it comes alive. And it has a knocking sound only under pressure at low rpm I did the valve clearance, and synchronized the carbs still have problems. :(
Any ideas?

Oddbirdwithbrokewing
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000
1983 gl1100A Aspencade

Re: no take off power at low rpm why?

Postby Oddbirdwithbrokewing » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:47 am

This may help explain.
WingAdmin wrote:It's the primary chain. At low RPM, it rattles and sounds horrible. It's not hurting anything, but just sounds bad. There's two ways to fix it:

1. Synchronize your carburetors. This will reduce it significantly.

2. Don't lug the engine at low speeds. These engines, while they have a fair amount of low-end torque, are not made to be lugged. If you're just starting off, slip the clutch a bit, and ease off the throttle, until you get the RPM's up.

Calzone
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Postby Calzone » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:42 pm

When the motor is cold go out and start it..run it at idle or very little throttle for 5-10 seconds then check the exhaust pipes near the head for heat. Make sure you have even heat on each pipe. The above post explained the rattle.
I had a 1 clogged idle jet that gave me similar symptoms, the design of the motor doesn't really give you a shake when a cylinder doesn't fire or get gas...you just lose power.

NK-biker79

Postby NK-biker79 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks calzone I'll check that when I first got bike it ran bad and knocked loud but now just at takeoff so on getting close lol. hope to have done this weekend

NK-biker79

Postby NK-biker79 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:40 pm

@ calzone okay went out and checked it the Left rear is not warming up is taking a lot longer to warm up

Calzone

Postby Calzone » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:27 pm

OK, it is either too much fuel or no enough, probably not enough but what I did was pulled my carbs back off and found it had sucked up something in the idle jet,
What others have done is run a little(or allot) seafoam and take it out on the open road for 20 miles or so and see if it cant be cleared up that way with a little road time.
Another trick is while it is idling stuff a rag into one of the two intake ports on the air filter, then stuff the other end of the rag in the other port and just before it dies pull it out, maybe give it a little throttle at that point. I have heard it pulls through the jets hard when this is done and can clear out clogged or partially clogged jets.
I have to say though..I have only pulled the carbs, never tried any of the other fixes but they were recommended by others.

NK-biker79

Postby NK-biker79 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:42 am

wow that sounds interesting never heard that before but I get the concept. Lol. going to buy new jets today after work I'll let you know how that goes that is about the only thing I can think of doingthere are only five dollars and some change correct me if I'm wrong but they take a 35 sized get right

Calzone

Postby Calzone » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:11 am

Jets are fine to replace but you really don't need to replace them unless they are damaged, A cleaning is all they need and if your carbs are truly 83`s that`s even better with the emulsifiers part of the actual jet you do not need to use a screw or easy out to pull out the emulsifier part.
I would just pull them and then pull the bowl on the offending cylinder and check out the idle jet and as well check the slide to be sure it isnt hanging up, Allot of these old vacuum slides have corrosion in the caps/slides that prevent easy slide movement.
I used a fine wire to poke out the debris in my jet..The wire was an old brush spring from an alternator I straitened out so it would fit through the tiny passage in the jet then I sprayed it with contact cleaner and looked through the jet by eye to see I had cleared and cleaned it.

NK-biker79

Postby NK-biker79 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:45 pm

OK the parts store sold me the wrong jet so I put old one back in and took for a ride still no power till I opened the throttle all the way and it won't hold E I have to give the extra throttle to pick up speed it doesn't want to hold a steady speed basically At 55 mph if I give a little gas it don't want to pick up speed until I crank the throttle

dwight007fchr
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Postby dwight007fchr » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:04 pm

NKBiker79.......I also have a 83 Interstate, and am having a similar problem. She cranks and idles fine, but when I hit the street and start shifting through the gears, I am getting a pretty bad "miss" or "fluttering" where she isnt giving me much power, and then when I really crank down on the throttle, I can really make her "getty-up"......but then when I bring the rpms' back down and try to cruise, the annoying miss comes right back.

I have been checking EVERYTHING......plugs, wires, coils, battery.....and now am thinking it could be the carbs. Also, I just started a new thread about the fuel tank top air vents. Seems my tank builds up a good amount of vacuum as the gas is drawn out by the fuel pump, and it may not be getting enough air into the tank to replace the spent gas. Not sure where the actual air vent is. Do you know? Look at my prior post about "Fuel Tank Vent".

dwight

NK-biker79

Postby NK-biker79 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:41 pm

Dwight did your bike sit for a long time? Mine did for 5 years just got it over winter carbs could be cleaned try that. The pilot jet has a pin hole in it through the middle that only a fine wire will fit. I'm going to Chang mine with new after work Monday I'll let you know if it worked then maybe you can do the same thing to yours

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:06 pm

NK Biker........Negative on that.....my bike did not sit for a great amount of time.....probably 6 months or so before I bought her. I have had now for 2 years, and she was running fine until this spring.

Looks like I may be pulling the carbs off, but that is a project I really wasnt hoping to do. I have spent so much time tinkering and doing repairs, I just want to ride some.....you know the feelin.

dwight

NK-biker79

Postby NK-biker79 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:50 am

okay well something probably got picked up and got stuck in the pilot jet but a good cleaning my help you out I've cleaned my carburetors twice nowwell I'm off to work I wiLl let you know how my bike runs after I put the new pilot jets in this evening

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:34 am

Nyorkbiker.....thats a big 10-4.......hope we both get our carbs running right. By the way, did you check the air vents in your gas cap? Im gonna soak the sucker in vinegar overnight and flush out, and hopefully that will eliminate that "giant sucking sound south of the border", or in this case, "giant sucking sound around the tank top when you open it".

dwight

Calzone

Postby Calzone » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:23 pm

If you going to pull the carburetors again make it the last time and do a thorough job. Pull all the bowls, pull each idle jet and check the side holes(emulsifier) and the jet hole(tiny top center)
While they are out run some compressed air into the idle jet hole and check for air felt and heard in the throat of each carb.
Check the float level at 15.5 MM, use a business card and cut into it 15.5MM and no wider then the bowl seats(the flat area the bowl oring seals against) you can bend the card to get around obstructions while checking.
I would also pull the slides and double check inside for smooth operation, If you take the slide cap off upside down on a table, install the spring and slide, it should rest nicely around the upper part of the slide(where the 2 screws go in is the upper) then if you press your finger on the needle and press down you it should bob up and down without getting stuck or sticking, should have smooth motion and come to rest back at the top edge. If not get some tin foil and rub the inside of the cap and friction area of the slide. Check that the needle has some play and spins freely, carful not to bend it.
While those are off you might check the main jet too. Mark your slides and caps with a sharpie so they go back into the same carburetor.
I would take a small piece of clear aquarium hose and stick one end in your mouth and with the other end blow through every jet on the carbs and check for even pressure, each jet and its twin on each carb should have the same resistance you can feel the resistance if your using your lungs not a compressor but the compressor is good for blowing out lines and clearing.

NK-biker79

Postby NK-biker79 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:30 pm

I think there is a vacuum problem on one carb if I choke it it runs good and has power but choke has to be in just the right spot

NK-biker79

Postby NK-biker79 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:25 pm

ok got it it was that 3 of the carbs had a small dent in the top cap were the slide went up and down and they were jammed in the up position so i sanded then down and put back together and had no more problems thanks for all your help

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”