Leave Original, Restore, or Go Sic?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
veg_eta_ble
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Leave Original, Restore, or Go Sic?

Postby veg_eta_ble » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Let the arguments begin, :lol: but seriously, I am looking for some direction. I am trying to decide if I just maintain my wing with all of her patina and "badges of honor" (scrapes and bruises), restore her to original, or just go sic and do her up new. Wife wants option number 3 with the caveat that the result is BRIGHT purple :shock: . Anyone have any experience in what the resale value for each choice would be (not that I am selling her anytime soon :D )
Thanks for any input.
Attachments

If you walked out of bed today, had a job to go to, a home to go back to, and someone there who loves you, then my friends, you have already won. -Larry Miller

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Leave Original, Restore, or Go Sic?

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Resale is higher for all original or original like restorations..color, decals , etc. A professional paint job will cost more than you could sell her for a week later! Looks like an early 1100..they sell for under $2,000 in AZ if in decent shape and as low as 800 is running but needing a a little work..like brakes, tires, etc. $1500 is average price for road worthy but not pristine.

So if you are Looking for investment/resale ride for a year or two as she is and sell her for what you paid for her assuming you got her a a reasonable price. If you are going to keep her for a few years a car about looks paint her and figure it's money you are not going to get back but enjoy the attention you'll get riding her aroudn town.

Note the Vetter bags and fairing are not a selling point original Hondaline or stock standard 1100..sell better.

IF she were mine, and I've had a few, I'd get her mechanically pristine and ride her until I bought a 1500.. :D !

Just MHO...
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Johnyy Smoke
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:38 am

I belive its how much enjoyment you get out of the bike dictates if you spend the $ to paint it all up. If you love it, and are gonna keep it- then paint it and the H*** with the cost. (within reason,of course.)
I am having my 1980 gl1100-with the Vetter package -painted even as I type.The cost is just under a thousand, Regards, Johnyy

Johnyy Smoke
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:40 am

I like how you mounted the mailbox on your trunk. :lol: Regards, Johnyy

bdukes
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade
1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby bdukes » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:07 pm

I had mine painted this spring and i really like it.
Attachments

veg_eta_ble

Postby veg_eta_ble » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:06 am

Beautiful job there, bdukes. :D And Johnyy, the mail box was a little-known add-on offered only one year for road warriors that need an address :lol:
I think the deal was sealed for us the other day when the Wife and I went out to dinner and an 75 year old couple came up and fawned over my bike, telling their tales of adventures they had with their '79 GL1000 and how "beautiful" (THEIR WORDS, not mine) my bike was. The more I ride her the more I love her and she will be getting a new coat of wineberry when I am ready to do it.
Thanks for the input, guys. :)

If you walked out of bed today, had a job to go to, a home to go back to, and someone there who loves you, then my friends, you have already won. -Larry Miller

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”