Final Drive runs hot

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tunaboy
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Final Drive runs hot

Postby tunaboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:53 pm

I have a '80 1100 and noticed that the rear brake runs pretty warm. The wheel does not bind and spins easily. I pulled the caliper and brake pads. There was plenty of pad and I just cleaned the pads up and resurfaced them a bit with coarse sand paper on a flat surface. Put everything back together and went for a ride. I was using normal braking procedure, a combination of front /rear brakes. I pulled over and put the bike up on the center stand. The rear tire spun easily with no dragging or binding, but the rotor was pretty warm to the point you did not want to keep your fingers on it too long. I put my hand on the housing for the final drive and it was pretty hot too. I have noticed this heat issue before. I came home and pulled the plug on the reservoir for the drive and the 90 wt was still there and full. The 90 wt is fresh this spring and I have greased the fitting on the housing. Is what I am seeing normal? I tend to think but I am not sure.
Thanks,
Tuna

tunaboy

Re: Final Drive runs hot

Postby tunaboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:30 am

I get the impression that the final drives in the 1100's do run warm. Why do they run warm, what part of the drive is generating heat? Is it the pinion gear running against the ring gear that generates the friction and heat? Do all shaft drive bikes get warm?
Tuna

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:12 am

There is a lot of energy being transfered through the final drive gears to move a lot of weight at speed.
ALL the shaft drives I have ever had (several now) run hot in the final.
My 1200, the curent 1100 and my old faithful 1500 all are really hot to touch when just finished riding.
The heat transfers to other surrounding parts as well , like rotors and even saddle bags some.
If there is no visible signs of wear than I wouldn't worry about the rotor/brakes. If the final drive is being properly serviced it is designed to handle it...
Just don't touch it .... HOT
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

tunaboy

Postby tunaboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback Wingsconsin. I feel better about the heat in the final drive.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”