Help with rusted fuel tank in N.E. FL.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
flajockjd
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate "Barn find"

Help with rusted fuel tank in N.E. FL.

Postby flajockjd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Hello fellow wingers, I've contacted several radiator shops in my area, Jacksonville, and I'm getting they all think it's too dangerous to work on rusted fuel tank . Pick up lines are clogged. Any ideas can post here or send a private mail..ive done the vinegar route and still can't get liquid to flow out of open petcock holes..
Thanks
JD

J.D.
U.S.M.C.
FLA
USA

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Re: Help with rusted fuel tank in N.E. FL.

Postby patbrandon1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:03 pm

http://www.metalrescue.com/home.aspx

This stuff works FANTASTIC!

flajockjd

Postby flajockjd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:05 pm

yes...ive been reading on that as well..do I need to worry about the flash rust I read about
J.D.
U.S.M.C.
FLA
USA

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:35 pm

You will need to be concerned with flash rust no matter which technique you use to remove the rust. I've only done one tank that couldn't be filled immediately with gas, because it was out of a Goldwing, and didn't want the extra weight or danger of a full tank during re-installation. Here is a PDF of the instructions. http://www.metalrescue.com/assets/pdf/M ... 0Paper.pdf *Note step six if you are storing the tank.

Do you have the tank out? If not, just put as much metal rescue in it to cover what you want de-rusted, then rinse with the same amount of gas after you have drained the MR out. If you have the tank out, and can't get it back in right away, coat with Dry Coat, and then rinse before you reinstall it.

I think there are some others that have de-rusted tanks on this forum if you want to do a search. But if you have any questions, just let me know. I don't get paid by Metal Rescue in any way. I just know this stuff really works without harming paint or skin.

flajockjd

Postby flajockjd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Yes...patbrandon..tank is out...and I will go with MR..and the dry coat...my delay is im not convinced the lines inside are not rusted shut...
J.D.
U.S.M.C.
FLA
USA

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby Fulcrum » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Ha ha, i just posted the same advice Pat gave you on your other thread. Doh!! Anyway, more than likely you just have debris in the line in conjunction with varnished gas that is blocking it. Metal rescue eats rust. Try to blow some compressed air into the tank from the petcock holes and see if that doesnt clear out the clog. If not let the MR eat away at the clog and try again. Good luck.

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Postby indianakid » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:14 pm

here you go..........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/82-Honda-Goldwi ... 8a&vxp=mtr

$55 and you are good to go.

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby Fulcrum » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:47 pm

No offense, but why spend 55 on a tank that is already old and rusty and has dents in it that could mean metal fatigue, when you can spend $25 and just clean out a tank you already have? You'd still have to derust the ebay tank.

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Postby indianakid » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:24 pm

none taken.

there are many more listed at a variety of prices and condition. every one must decide for themselves what their time is worth. sounds like he has spent quite a bit of time on this one already not to mention time spent going to radiator shops. metal rescue will set him back 15 to 25 as you mentioned.

in his description of his tank it sounds like the main problem is clogged lines. if it is rust inside and out side of the lines then they could be rusted through. difficult to repair or replace.

no offense, but metal fatigue? the tank is mild steel and is not going to fatigue from one dent cycle.

flajockjd

Postby flajockjd » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:27 pm

Hello fellas...thank you both for your spirited responses...i actually agree with both of you..(middle kid)....i will try the MR...will stick with the tank I have until it gives up the ghost...then will def. buy from eBay and start over....sent compressed air thru lines and got bubbles inside from one and no reaction from blowing thru other...I didn't go around to rad. Shops...just called...and u know the rest...
I would like to thank everyone here for the awesome support...i don't even work on my family van...but a fellow winger for years..had this one rotting in his yard...(has newer ones to ride)...and I felt the call...now down to frame,engine and carbs off for cleaning...why not...I think now that this was main issue...not getting gas....
Will update

J.D.
U.S.M.C.
FLA
USA

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”