Intro, I have a new to me 82 GL1100 and some questions

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
oldmopars
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Intro, I have a new to me 82 GL1100 and some questions

Postby oldmopars » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:51 am

Hello,
My name is Scott and I recently bought a 1982 GL1100 Interstate. I have been riding a Reflex Scooter clone for a while and wanted something bigger for long distance cruising. I had a very low budget and so I did a lot of looking. I found this bike on CL and gave the guy $300 for it. I was able to get it home and had to have a new key made. It came with title, but no key. I jump started it and it fired right up. My first ride was short to get the feel for it and see what all it needs. I know I will need to do the fork seals and get a new battery(had to borrow the scooters). I will be doing all the normal fluid changes and brake inspections etc.
As I looked over the bike I was pleased with all the extras to PO had put on this thing. It has Jardine pipes, UNI air filter, Super Brace on the forks, Travelcade seat and lots of extra chrome bits.
So, a few questions.
1. The forks, I know they use air, but I have seem progressive springs available. Is this a good upgrade or should I stick with the air(after rebuild)?
2. My Tachometer still works good, but the glass is missing and it had a chrome trim added, it is missing also. My speedo and center lights have chrome trim. I assume this was a kit, where can I get a replacement for the tach?
3. The headlight just flops, the adjustment knob is not attached anymore, how do I get it out to reattach the adjuster?
4. Were the chrome trim and lights on the front brakes factory installed in 82 or aftermarket? (they cover the calipers and rotor)
5. There are 2 or 3 of the windscreen captive nuts missing, where can I get those?
6. Even after only a short run, the faux tank was real warm and was warm on my legs, is this normal? (not hot hot, just very warm)
So, here is a picture of it, any other things I need to know? I know the side cover is missing over the battery. Is this color Brandywine?
Attachments

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Intro, I have a new to me 82 GL1100 and some questions

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:46 am

1. The forks, I know they use air, but I have seem progressive springs available. Is this a good upgrade or should I stick with the air(after rebuild)? Progressives are nice some really th8ink they change theride others jsut a little change if the OEms' were up to spec..
2. My Tachometer still works good, but the glass is missing and it had a chrome trim added, it is missing also. My speedo and center lights have chrome trim. I assume this was a kit, where can I get a replacement for the tach?
Ebay, bike breakers, on line on these site usually have guys selling stuff...

3. The headlight just flops, the adjustment knob is not attached anymore, how do I get it out to reattach the adjuster? Shouldn't have to there is a small set screw on the side of the adjuster knob..back it out and pull the knob off and put the knob on and set the screw..note there should be a nut/washer and ?? on the stem sticking out of the back of the light bracket that holds the hold thing in place on the fairing..

4. Were the chrome trim and lights on the front brakes factory installed in 82 or aftermarket? (they cover the calipers and rotor) aftermarket

5. There are 2 or 3 of the windscreen captive nuts missing, where can I get those? Honda, Ace MM, any MM nut that fits the grove will work

6. Even after only a short run, the faux tank was real warm and was warm on my legs, is this normal? (not hot hot, just very warm) YES

$300 what deal...!!!!
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

80-GL100-INT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate (current)
Previously Owned:
1981 CB 750 Custom
1976 CB 750 Super Sport (punched to 900)
1986 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1974 Suzuki 550
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 (First Street Bike-way back in '88)

Postby 80-GL100-INT » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Welcome to the greatest site for Wings there is !

Make good use of the DIY articles, they are very informative. I have also learned a lot from taking the time to read through as many of the threads as I possibly can.

That being said, $300. WOW, I thought I got a great deal.

Ebay is great resource...just remember your probably bidding against the rest of us :roll: :lol: :lol:
If "WE THE PEOPLE" don't defend our rights...Who will?
"Government's first duty is protect the people, not run their lives."...Ronald Reagan

http://www.powdercoat.tk/

oldmopars
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby oldmopars » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks for the info. I did get a great deal, it was a risk though. I got it non running. However it runs great and everything seems ok, or minor repairs.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:25 pm

I would strongly encourage to change the timing belts.Since you do not know how old they are it is best to change them. If they break then you will defintly be up a creek without the paddle.
Run a half can of sea foam through the gas tank. run the other half in the oil-ride it about 50-100 miles and change the oil and filter. This will get rid of some crud in both the carbs and engine.

You definitly got a great deal.

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Its imperative that you download the maintenance manual as it will help a lot!!!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”