OEM Shock Rebuild

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

OEM Shock Rebuild

Postby tunaboy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:58 pm

The PO of my 1100 said that he had the stock rear shocks rebuilt. He gave me the old stock springs that he kept when I picked up the bike. He said that the dealer sent the shocks away to be rebuilt. There are no numbers that I can see on the springs, there is an outer spring and an inner spring with a sizable plastic bushing on the bottom. I hope that they were sent to Progressive for the rebuild. Any way I can tell without tearing the shocks apart if the progressive springs are inside? Has any one who has replaced the springs tell me how the bike felt after the spring swap and what air pressure they are using? If you have replaced your OEM air shock springs can you give me some feedback please?

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate. Originally Candywine color, now Chrysler Cool Vanilla.

Re: OEM Shock Rebuild

Postby bcassel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:46 pm

I changed mine out. WORLD of difference. I'm told you don't need to put air in once they are changed out to Progressives, but I still carry about 35 psi in mine, run it up to 40 if I'm two up and the trailer.

My wife says it is the best investment we made in the bike. I've got a set for the fronts to install when I change out the front tire next month.

No way to tell from the outside if they have Progressive's inside. Opening them up is a mess and without a compression tool, they are a bear to put back together.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: OEM Shock Rebuild

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:19 pm

I would consider replacing them with the progressive (non air) 412 rear shocks, after all-with the expense, and hassle, of rebuilding - you might be ahead just to replace them and have it done.
I paid $265 for mine on e-bay. You will also need a 1\4 travel limiter for each shock, which runs about $15.
The difference is remarkable (if your original springs are fried). I was very satisfied with the purchase. Regards, Johnyy

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”