Need Help Rejetting carbs on 1980 Interstate

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
lgsparks1
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing GL1100I

Need Help Rejetting carbs on 1980 Interstate

Postby lgsparks1 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:58 pm

About a year ago I removed the stock pipes and replaced with some Harley fishtails. They look and sound great with 1 draw back. My mileage dropped from 37 mph to 28 mph immediately. I have just tolerated it for this long , but now want to get my higher mileage back. Any suggestions would help. Local friends are saying rejetting is a must. I have searched this site and google but not much luck finding step by step instructions on rejetting Goldwing carbs.

Glenn Sparks
Cross Spoke Riders
Tyler Tx
Ride for the SON

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Need Help Rejetting carbs on 1980 Interstate

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:22 am

goldwing carbs shouldn't require rejetting with pipe changes..but check out randakk's site for info..or shoot him or Pistol Pete an email both have extensive carb know but don't post here...

www.randakksblog.com/site-map/
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

tunaboy
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Re: Need Help Rejetting carbs on 1980 Interstate

Postby tunaboy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:11 am

I have heard that using a foam air filter can cause a wing to run more lean because it flows more air than a paper filter. But if your mileage is way down wouldn't it mean that you are running too rich? Have you looked at your plugs to see? How is the performance of the bike? How is the idle since the Harley swap? Do you run ethanol? The stuff is crap and produces less power compared to regular gas. Swapping the main jets may be a hit or miss proposition. Pulling the carbs multiple times gets old fast. If the bike has good power and idles well you may be opening up a can of worms by doing what may be multiple jet changes. Do a plug reading it will tell you lots.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”