Fork Spring help!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Fork Spring help!

Postby robertdawber » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:15 pm

How the hell do I get them back in!!!!

tumunga
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 - this is the one I will always need help with.

1980 GL1100I Interstate (gone)

Re: Fork Spring help!

Postby tumunga » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:36 pm

robertdawber wrote:How the hell do I get them back in!!!!

How did you get them out??? :lol:

On the '80, they just drop in from the top. I have a set of progressives in mine, so there's only 1 spring in each tube. I dropped it in from the top after putting the new oil in. There's about 3/4" of spring coming out of the top of the fork tube before I put the cap on. I had to put the cap on the spring, then push down on the cap, then screwed the cap on.

I found installing the caps is easier to do by putting the fork tube back in the triple tree, sliding it up until it was about 6" or so past the top clap, then tightening the clamp so the tube doesn't move. It made it easier to push down on the spring without having to try to hold the slippery tube by hand.
Tumunga
1989 GL1500 Goldwing with all the optional goodies (I think)

robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Fork Spring help!

Postby robertdawber » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:34 pm

tumunga wrote:
robertdawber wrote:How the hell do I get them back in!!!!

How did you get them out??? :lol:

On the '80, they just drop in from the top. I have a set of progressives in mine, so there's only 1 spring in each tube. I dropped it in from the top after putting the new oil in. There's about 3/4" of spring coming out of the top of the fork tube before I put the cap on. I had to put the cap on the spring, then push down on the cap, then screwed the cap on.

I found installing the caps is easier to do by putting the fork tube back in the triple tree, sliding it up until it was about 6" or so past the top clap, then tightening the clamp so the tube doesn't move. It made it easier to push down on the spring without having to try to hold the slippery tube by hand.

I made it happen-what a pain-Was easier to do alone rather than with help.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”