Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Postby tunaboy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:50 pm

I am probably the last one to pull the OEM rubber brake lines and go to stainless lines. I just did the back brakes and can say that they are so much better now. A nice firm pedal that doesn't require you ankle to rotate 90 degrees to generate some stopping power. I am very impressed and any who have not dumped the old rubber ones please consider the change. Can't wait to do the fronts and again want to thank the guy in Sussex Wisconsin who offered to come to my house with his Mity Vac to help me bleed the lines. I actually took one of my fathers big old oil cans with the trigger pump and pumped the fluid from the caliper to the master cylinder. Most of the air was out but once the lines and master cylinder were full I did a conventional bleed and got all the air out easily. Don't take risks with brake systems that can easily updated. Bite the bullet, spend the money. Got mine on ebay for about $104 for a full set.

Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Re: Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:03 pm

..You're Welcome... :D
Another trick I have learned is to put a rubber band tight around the brake lever on the front brake and leave it overnight "pulled in"
That will allow any trapped air buubbles to work their way out of the line and master cylinder
A weight on the foot (rear brake) lever will do the same for that one as well...
Just passing along knowledge......
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”