'83 Aspencade radio wiring woes

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

'83 Aspencade radio wiring woes

Postby Jeeper » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:36 pm

When getting my radio working the other day, I found a mouse nest in the fairing. I cleared out the nesting materials but have since found some wires they chewed. One is the pair going from the amplifier to the left speaker, which isn't working now. The other I'm not sure where they go as I wasn't able to pull them up enough to see. I'm not suprised they wanted to camp out there, as there is already a rats nest of wires. I think I counted 6 or 7 inline fuses, plus the additional wiring someone put in there for auxiliary lights, the transformer for the EL strips, etc. I am almost (read "almost") tempted to pull the radio system out so I can check over everything. The main issue is the wires that have been stripped of insulation are on the left side of the fairing, and the power amp which they goto is on the right side. I'm thinking the other wires may be why the seek button doesn't work.

On another note. Does anyone have a source for the clear plastic face on the digital instrument panel? Mine is covered in crazing on the inside which makes it very difficult to read the displays, virtually impossible in the sunlight.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: '83 Aspencade radio wiring woes

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:46 am

Jeeper wrote:On another note. Does anyone have a source for the clear plastic face on the digital instrument panel? Mine is covered in crazing on the inside which makes it very difficult to read the displays, virtually impossible in the sunlight.

Just an idea, but you might want to try that polish they sell to fix cloudy plastic headlight lens covers.

Jeeper

Postby Jeeper » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:25 pm

I looked at that polish today but I suspect it won't help. The crazing seems to be quite deep into the plastic faceplate. It is annoying though, as it makes is almost impossible to read the speedometer when riding. I might have to see if I can get some thin plexiglass and just make a replacement. It will have to be thin enough to bend like the original.

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:48 pm

FYI some of those inline fuses are actually for the stereo system and are "factory".

Jeeper

Postby Jeeper » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:37 am

lhelber wrote:FYI some of those inline fuses are actually for the stereo system and are "factory".

I did know that from reading previous posts on here. That's what sent me into the fairing in the first place, trying to get the radio working at all.

Jeeper

Postby Jeeper » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:16 pm

Ok whomever designed the Honda Clarion II radio system in the '83 Aspencade should be flogged with a wet noodle.

Today I pulled the amp out of the fairing to check why the left speaker wasn't working. The speaker wires had been attacked by the mice so it was missing insulation. Just to ensure it wasn't the speaker itself, I connected the right speaker wires to the left speaker and it works fine. So I proceeded to chop and rewire the left speaker coming from the amp. Didn't fix it. Apparently the problem lies forward of that point, could be the amp, could be the radio, could be the wires between the two.

I know there are some green/yellow wires on the left side of the fairing that have had their insulation removed as well, but after pulling both turn signals, the cassette player, the right fairing pocket, pulling all the wires out I still couldn't get to them. The only other option seemed to be pulling the intercom unit, which didn't look like fun. I guess electronic technology in the early '80s was far behind what it is today. I would think the new 1800s have a single self contained audio unit. This process of putting the radio module, the CB module and amp module, the intercom module, etc. spread all over the fairing makes it very annoying to work on.

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Yes, it would have been nicer if they had done it like the Interstate where the stereo used the same form factor as an automobile's stereo. It would have made updating to new music technology much easier. You still would have had problems integrating the CB and intercom.

SeanM
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 aspencade

Postby SeanM » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:22 am

i had the same problem, got it all figured out except the wiring to the recieveron the right, do u uys know which wire hooks up where? Theres two coming out of the reciever, one runs to radio, other to amp?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”