1980 GL1100 to Naked

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tmackillop
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100A

1980 GL1100 to Naked

Postby tmackillop » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:53 am

Hey folks,

New GL1100 rider here from Richmond, VA. After doing some rides I've decided I want to take off the front fairings. They're all scratched and really they're more of a hazard than a luxury.
I've been looking at 7'' headlamps (12v 55/60w I believe?) and also trying to figure out which turn signals to purchase. What parts/precautions/methods will I need to know before I dive into this and realize this is more than a couple days work project?

Thanks!

80-GL100-INT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate (current)
Previously Owned:
1981 CB 750 Custom
1976 CB 750 Super Sport (punched to 900)
1986 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1974 Suzuki 550
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 (First Street Bike-way back in '88)

Re: 1980 GL1100 to Naked

Postby 80-GL100-INT » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:39 am

Welcome to the Forum!

Ebay is a great source for the parts. There are lots of people parting these out instead of reviving them.

Use caution when removing the main bracket, it can be easy to hit the radiator. The 3# weight and brackets are removed and are replaced by the headlamp bucket/signal brackets, and you may have to disconnect and reroute the throttle, clutch, and choke cables.
If "WE THE PEOPLE" don't defend our rights...Who will?
"Government's first duty is protect the people, not run their lives."...Ronald Reagan

http://www.powdercoat.tk/

goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

Postby goldminerusa » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:47 am

I believe your going to have to scrounge up the headlight bucket "mounting ears which are part of the fork tube covers that fit between the upper and lower triple trees", make sure you get the rubber grommets for the top/bottom of each tube cover or the whole assy will rattle and you wont be able to adj the headlight. I have a headlight assy with a halogen bulb thats in good shape, PM me.

GEHines2010
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby GEHines2010 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:31 pm

I've been working on a 1100 Aspencade to bare bike project for while now. As already said you will have to get a head light bucket, fork ears, rear tail light/brake light assembly. The seems to be a spacer piece that goes between the tail light and the turn signals on the mounting bracket, I'm having a heck of a time finding two of those. There are rubber gromets (my term for them) that insert in the turn signal ends for attachment to the fork ears and the brackets on the rear tail light assembly. Not sure if there are OEM ones available or not. I did manage to find used ones. OEM head light buckets, tail light/brake light assemblies, and I think turn signals aren't avilable, although I found after market turn signals easily enough.

I removed all the chrome saddle bag/trunk brackets. The brackets bolted through the rear shocks, need a spacer there now.

I pain stakingly correctly reconnected all the wiring connections on removing the fairing; for the digital tach/speedo, turn signals, head lights, gas guage etc. An over eager friend pulled them all again to put on the head light bucket, assuring me "we'd figure out all the connections. He's stiil my friend but we have'nt figured it out totally. So if you are not real good on wiring, as I am not, I would mark all the connections with tape & numbering or whatever. I had to crimp on some new brass connectors for the rear turn signals, forget why, but I found the correct size at a Honda auto dealer so I could use the original harness.

The bike I acquired was damaged in a house fire and had sat for a while, so I rebuilt both brake master cylinders, OEM rebuild kits are available but none of the brake parts are. I did find a hydraulic place that could make the banjo fittings & hoses. Rebuilt the calipers too. I broke one of the threaded connections on the air equalizing tube taking it off the forks, those are not available new anymore and I couldn't find anyone that could make that threaded connection that would fit. I did manage to find a used one. If you have to take it off, which I think you will to get the fork ears on, I would put some penetrating oil on it if you have any doubts. It is a kind of a nut and gland connection and mine was seized badly and broke pretty easily.

I had to clean the gas tank up to, it was pretty cruddy.

I happened to see an 83 standard in a parking lot at a nearby mall. I was busy taking pictures when the owner came out, he let me take a few before he left. That was helpful. Good luck.

GEHines2010
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby GEHines2010 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:50 pm

I recall why I had to get the crimp on connections for my tail light on my 1100 aspencade to bare bike project. The rear turn signals I got had no connection on the wiring, so I did, as I said above, manage to find the right size male brass crimp on connectors at a Honda auto dealer. That enabled me to connect to the original wiring harness. The connection point is under the seat.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”