Radio resets when the key is switched off

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
DaveDanger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Radio resets when the key is switched off

Postby DaveDanger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi all, I'm going to troubleshoot this first chance I get, but wanted to see if anyone had specific imput before I get to the wrenches & multimeter.
I have to reset my radio stations every time I switch the key on. Radio & clock seems to lose power completely when I turn the key off. I would expect there to be a memory circuit to supply that, but seems I'm losing it.
I'm going to open the fuse box and seacrh that, and dig further in as needs warrant, but would appreciate any experience anyone has with this.

Thanks,
DD

A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Radio resets when the key is switched off

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:38 pm

Unscrew your left front turn signal and pull it free of the fairing (it will dangle by its wires). In behind it, you will find a rat's nest of wires. In amongst those wires are several (three, if I recall) inline glass fuse holders. One of those is for your radio memory/clock, and it is blown. It is a 0.2 amp fuse, replace it with the same size.

80-GL100-INT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate (current)
Previously Owned:
1981 CB 750 Custom
1976 CB 750 Super Sport (punched to 900)
1986 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1974 Suzuki 550
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 (First Street Bike-way back in '88)

Postby 80-GL100-INT » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

If the fuses are still good.

these are the fuses your looking for.
these are the fuses your looking for.

In that same rats nest, it may be possible PO plugged wires into wrong connections.

I believe blk are acc. & red are 12v
I believe blk are acc. & red are 12v
If "WE THE PEOPLE" don't defend our rights...Who will?
"Government's first duty is protect the people, not run their lives."...Ronald Reagan

http://www.powdercoat.tk/

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:35 am

I am assuming it is for the gl1100 as you did not say which bike. If it is the 1100 and a clarion radio-look for the thin black wire which is the memory wire. Trace it to it's source and hopefully you'll find your problem.

DaveDanger

Postby DaveDanger » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Wilcoy02 wrote:I am assuming it is for the gl1100 as you did not say which bike. If it is the 1100 and a clarion radio-look for the thin black wire which is the memory wire. Trace it to it's source and hopefully you'll find your problem.

Wilcoy02, apologies... Mine is a GL1100 and it is a factory Clarion.
I've checked every glass fuse in the rats-nest behind the Lh turn signal lens... There are 5 in mine. The fuses all check good with a multi-meter, and I probe voltage at both ends of the fuse holder with everything connected. There are a couple of those fuse holders that will kill the radio if I disconnect them while the system is on, however, none of them seem to affect the memory. The radio turns right back on when I reconnect the fuse holder. I'm looking right this minute for a thin black wire (fused or bullet connected) that you mentioned.
I disconnected every bullet-connector that I could get fingers on, and reconnected to see if maybe I simply have a high rtesistance connection... none seem to make any difference.
DD
A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

Wilcoy02

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:31 pm

This is the little black wire you need to make sure is hot all the time. If it is not hot all the time and you turn key off-you lose your settings.
Let us know when you find your problem so others with this same problem can learn from your efforts.

Is yours a clarion II or clarion I ? this should be the same wire on both.
Attachments

DaveDanger

Postby DaveDanger » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:37 pm

Wilcoy02, (I'm headed to the shop to grab the bike for a short ride this evening... I'll determine if Clarion I or II while there and provide that info later)
I didn't say so in my previous post, but I was checking for voltage on all the connectors and fuse holders with the power turned off... as well as turned on.
My assumption is that the memory wire for the radio (and clock) should be hot with the power switched off. There are 5 bright white glass-fuse holders in my rats-nest, and about 4 of the larger fuse-holders that actually are wide enough to have a spare fuse stored inside. The only smaller-than-normal black wires (2) run thru the bright white fuse-holders, and the fuses are good and I have voltage in and out. (when switched on, not when switched off).

I'm apparently going to have to remove more components and trace wires a bit further. You're showing a radio component on your bench with the wires you feel I need to look at... what actual component is that? Peering into the turn signal openings shows me about 3 or 4 different radio components, and I need to know which one I specifically need to get to.

Something that might help me troubleshoot... The radio loses its time as well, when the key is switched off. Is that clock function built into the radio system or is it stand-alone? If it's stand-alone, I may have an easier time tracking the memory wire by chasing it to (or from) the display rather than trying to find the radio memory wire. (I assume the memory wire will be split from the same (always hot) source at some point. Just might be easier to work backwards from the clock). Just a thought...

I'm trying hard not to disassemble so much stuff that the Wing becomes unrideable while I solve this problem. I'm a self-employed Aircraft Mechanic, and keep the bike in my shop, so it's easy to work on it when I have a few minutes between other jobs, but I try to ride the Wing daily, if nowhere else but to lunch and local errands. The idea of major disassembly kills me, but if that what it takes... that's what I'll do.
Any ideas appreciated:)

DD

Wilcoy02

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:41 pm

The clock is part of the radio and needs to be hot all the time which is part of keeping your memory.

As far as taking some things out-- You will still be able to ride daily with or without the parts to the radio. The wiring of the radio does not interlace with parts neede for safe running of the bike.

I have had my radio in and out completely about 6 times. So I wish I could get my hands on your bike as I pretty know which wires go where.

If by chance you do take it all out. I connected all the units up outside the fairing and then I placed tape on each connection and numbered each one. There are two red wires which go nowhere. While out I marked each fuse holder with the correct amp for each holder.

Keep at it and you will get it. You might also call sierra electronics 800 number as they work on these relics. They are very knowlegable and very helpful over the phone. They would rather fix a problem over the phone rather than physically working on the units.

Keep us posted and let us know your steps as you might help somone else in the same boat you are in.
Last edited by Wilcoy02 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wilcoy02

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:51 pm

Check out the manuals on this forum for the schmatics for the radio.

http://goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Honda%20Go ... -C25A0.pdf

Look at page 10 of 11 This is a clarion I radio

If your left gauage looks like that then it is a I If it looks different it is a II.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:00 pm

If the station frequency readout is on the radio, next to the volume control by your left knee, it's a Clarion I. If the readout is a red LED display on the top of your fairing, it's a Clarion II.

Clarion I
Clarion I

Clarion II
Clarion II

DaveDanger

Postby DaveDanger » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:47 am

Mine is a Clarion II. I haven't had the time in the last day or so to work on this issue. Have had to suddenly deal with a loose and floppy Rh rear view mirror (Fixed and firm again).

Looks like I'm going to begin pulling everything out of the inside of this fairing first chance I get. I've done without a horn since I got this bike running and that has been a minor inconvenience but I've put up with it. And occasionally, my turn signals won't work till I've hit a small bump in the road and joggled the bike a bit, suddenly they work fine. A loose or high resistance connection or a weak ground I'm sure.

I need to address all these electrical issues and prolly the easiest way is to simply empty out the electrical harness from the fairing and go thru everything.

I have the cassette player in the Lh side of this fairing as well, and will undoubtedly never use it. Anyone have any ideas as to what can be done with that space if I remove it permanently? Additionally, does anyone have interest in that unit if I do remove it? I'd be interested in parting with it for a reasonable amount.

Will post back with photos of my uninstall/repair & reinstall as I go :)

DD

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:22 am

DaveDanger wrote:I need to address all these electrical issues and prolly the easiest way is to simply empty out the electrical harness from the fairing and go thru everything.

I have the cassette player in the Lh side of this fairing as well, and will undoubtedly never use it. Anyone have any ideas as to what can be done with that space if I remove it permanently? Additionally, does anyone have interest in that unit if I do remove it? I'd be interested in parting with it for a reasonable amount.

I think I would do the same thing - pull out, clean and renew all the connectors.

The cassette player can be removed and replaced with a pocket that has a snap-on cover - basically just like the right side, but with a vinyl snap-on cover instead of a hard lockable cover. That's what Honda supplied for bikes that they did not put the cassette player into.

DaveDanger

Postby DaveDanger » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:15 pm

Alrighty then...
Found my radio & clock memory problem. Opened up the Rh fairing cover & pocket, then removed the Lh turn signal lens, radio & the cassette. Pulled all the wire bundles out to their full extent and began tracing them all from one end to the other.
I had printed a blow-up of the entire electrical system from the Service Manual PDF I forgot that I had on my laptop, and using that to at least clue me on wire colors, it appeared that I specifically needed to locate and trace out any red wires. I located three different ones at the pin connector inside the radio slide rack, and finally separated one that comes into the fairing thru a grommet from the bike's wiring harness. When I pulled the Molex connector and tested the red wires at the pins, I did locate one that was hot with the key switch turned off. When I checked the same wire on the inside of the fairing, I had NO voltage. Pulled the molex connector apart again and sprayed the pins inside with a corrosion preventive and wiggled it back together... Problem solved. Radio memory back online and the clock sets and stays set! The white Molex connector in the center of the following pics is where my high resistance connection came into play. Down inside the gap between the tank & fairing.
[/url]
[/url][/url]

I subsequently permenently removed the cassette including the wiring, disconnects and slide rack. I'm going to be on the lookout for the pocket and cover for that Lh side of the fairing as well, if anyone has info on availability, let me know :) If I can't find that, I may use the cassette slide-in rack as a template to fabricate a nice sized cup-holder of fiberglass. I have yet to locate a really good cup/bottle holder to keep me in cold fluids while riding :)
I've also put in place the wiring and inline fuses to install a pair of cigarette lighter receptacles for Phone & GPS chargers.
I checked all the wiring to the horn system while I was digging around in there, and have had no success with that issue. Still no warning sounds when that button is pressed :|

BikerBuck
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1978 GS 750

Postby BikerBuck » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:42 pm

Ditto with me on removing the the cassett. I left the slide rack in for now as it works fairly well for a cup holder. I'll be interested to see what you come up as a replacement.

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2005 GL1800ABS previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I + many other brands

Postby WINGER3 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:21 pm

Here is a trick I do with horns that will not work when they are getting power from the button. I take them off and hook up my 12V batt charger to them and tap on them to loosen up all the gravel and sand that they capture, you won't beleave how much of it is in them. The horn will vibrate all of the sand and gravel and anything else inside loose and then just dump it out or use an air hose, also when they start working you can adjust them to get them as loud as you can, some times you have to play with the lodness adjuster to get them to start workin. If the batt charger won't get them to work, then they are bad. Hope this helps, good luck. :mrgreen:
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

DaveDanger

Postby DaveDanger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:39 pm

While I was working on all the radio wiring in the fairing yesterday, and had the tank off and some of the fairing lowers removed... I checked for voltage at the horn terminals. NADA. I'm losing voltage before it gets to the horns. I'm betting on a bad or frozen horn relay, but In the little time I had remaining before closing up the bike yesterday, I couldn't find a relay. The fuse under the tank is good. There is voltage into and out of that fuse.
Anyone know where the horn relay is possibly located?

DD

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:03 pm

DaveDanger wrote:While I was working on all the radio wiring in the fairing yesterday, and had the tank off and some of the fairing lowers removed... I checked for voltage at the horn terminals. NADA. I'm losing voltage before it gets to the horns. I'm betting on a bad or frozen horn relay, but In the little time I had remaining before closing up the bike yesterday, I couldn't find a relay. The fuse under the tank is good. There is voltage into and out of that fuse.
Anyone know where the horn relay is possibly located?

DD

There isn't one, and that's probably the problem. The GL1100 (and other Gold Wings, for reasons only Honda knows) just run the full current of the horn through that little switch on the handlebar. Eventually the contacts arc and burn out, or a connector along the way gives up the ghost.

On my GL1100 I replaced the horns with much louder aftermarket horns (FIAMM Freeway Blasters), and the switch/wiring couldn't handle the current, so I installed a 30 amp relay that came directly (fused, of course) from the battery to operate the horns.

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2005 GL1800ABS previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I + many other brands

Postby WINGER3 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:14 pm

According to the wiring diagram for the 83 Asp. there is no relay, it shows a resister coil built into the horn switch itself. It does show a main relay that has many other items connected to it, such as both coils and tail lights, so if they are OK then that relay is good. Good luck :mrgreen:
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

DaveDanger

Postby DaveDanger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:42 pm

There isn't one, and that's probably the problem. The GL1100 (and other Gold Wings, for reasons only Honda knows) just run the full current of the horn through that little switch on the handlebar. Eventually the contacts arc and burn out, or a connector along the way gives up the ghost.

On my GL1100 I replaced the horns with much louder aftermarket horns (FIAMM Freeway Blasters), and the switch/wiring couldn't handle the current, so I installed a 30 amp relay that came directly (fused, of course) from the battery to operate the horns.

Per WingAdmin's last comment, I suspect I need to open up the Lh handgrip and access the horn switch itself (Although I maybe could just probe the wires going into it without disassembling..) and determine if I actually have voltage going into and out of the switch itself.

Then either repair or replace the switch if necessary, and route the horn switch wiring through a (outside sourced) relay that will handle the current draw. Assuming the OEM horns are functional at that point, either continue to use them, or install some truly ear-splitting aftermarket units.
I'll post back as I progress with this issue :)

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:14 am

DaveDanger wrote:Per WingAdmin's last comment, I suspect I need to open up the Lh handgrip and access the horn switch itself (Although I maybe could just probe the wires going into it without disassembling..) and determine if I actually have voltage going into and out of the switch itself.

Then either repair or replace the switch if necessary, and route the horn switch wiring through a (outside sourced) relay that will handle the current draw. Assuming the OEM horns are functional at that point, either continue to use them, or install some truly ear-splitting aftermarket units.
I'll post back as I progress with this issue :)

Couldn't you run a wire from the battery, bypassing the switch, right to the horn to see if it will honk?

If they work this way, then I would probe the switch. But I would want to know if the horn even works before I went much further. It probably does, and the switch would then need work. But I am a little lazy at times, and would first try to direct power the horn.

DaveDanger

Postby DaveDanger » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:53 am

patbrandon1 wrote:Couldn't you run a wire from the battery, bypassing the switch, right to the horn to see if it will honk?

If they work this way, then I would probe the switch. But I would want to know if the horn even works before I went much further. It probably does, and the switch would then need work. But I am a little lazy at times, and would first try to direct power the horn.

Ya know, I could kick myself. I may have mentioned in an earlier post, that while working on the radio wiring issue, that I had removed the tank and almost all the fairing innards, and the Lh fairing lower panel. I actually had the Lh horn removed from the bike, and laying in my hand. I did NOT connect it to an electrical source and test it by itself while I had it out :|
That was actually one of the reasons I removed it, but I had about 8 things going on at once, and by the time I got to the point of staring at the horn in my hand, I was watching the clock for heading home to dinner, and knew that I had to close it all up so I could ride! There's not much that I dislike more, than closing up my shop and departing in my pickup, when the Wing is sitting in the hangar with parts hanging off it left and right.
All things considered, I need to sometimes write down a checklist of what I want to do workwise when I tackle a project.
I suspect I could re-purpose a pair of voltmeter probes and reach thru the louvres in that fairing lower, and provide voltage to the horn terminals, even if I have to use an external battery (I would disconnect the bike battery first). That fairing lower is time-consuming to remove due to a fair amount of Markland Chrome accessory panels. If I had a full bike lift........ :mrgreen:

arnoldg
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 GOLDWING

Postby arnoldg » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:10 pm

had this happen to me on my 1100 goldwing. It was a fuse locate in the left turn signal compartment.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”