How to connect your MP3 player to stock radio,it can be done

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
oldmopars
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

How to connect your MP3 player to stock radio,it can be done

Postby oldmopars » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Well, when I got my 82 GL1100I it had the stock Clarion Radio installed and it worked, somewhat. The radio played, but the buttons to change the channel were hit and miss and the lens was in need of some work. Even after fixing these things, it was still just a radio.
I wanted to be able to hook up my phone to the bike and listen to MP3s. I have a new smart phone with all the latest stuff including MP3 player, GPS and all kinds of other things. I figured there had to be a way to hook it up to the stock radio, and there was.

The stock radio comes as 4 parts. The control head, the main unit/receiver, the Amplifier, and the speakers. I took all of this out to see what I had to work with. I found the PO had added a wire with 3 plugs that went in line from the receiver to the amp. I used this wire, the amp and the speaker. I removed the control unit and the receiver.

I found an old pair of headphones my son broke one ear bud off and used the rest of the wire. I connected this to one of the plugs I cut off the wire with 3 plugs and connected it right to the amp.

So, I now have the headphone wire exiting out of the right side of the faring and the phone mounted to the top of the tank with a home made phone holder. I will show the finished product in my next post.

oldmopars

Re: How to connect your MP3 player to stock radio,it can be

Postby oldmopars » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:04 pm

OK, so now the final product.

As you can see the phone (HTC-ONE) is mounted to the top of the tank with a hold mounted with Velcro. The wire from the Amp hooks up to the phone and the car charger plugs into the lighter outlet to charge the phone.
To use it, I just hook up, start my MP3 player, or Pandora, GPS(for voice commands) or Iheart radio. Volume control is done on the side of the phone and works great.
So no I can listen to Pandora, slacker, MP3s. Have voice commands from the GPS loud enough to hear, or even a phone call (if parked).
I was able to do all of this in a few hours of goofing off in the garage for $0.00. FREE.
BTW, before anyone asks, the 4 red guarded switches are not hooked to anything yet, but will be for lights and other things in the future.
Hope this helps someone else do the same to their bike.
Scott

alastair.kj
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby alastair.kj » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:44 am

I want to do this exact modification, however I am a beginner and don't want to screw anything up.

Would you be able to explain in a little more detail? What did you do with the radio control on the left and the receiver that is in the fairing right behind it as well as all the wires that were leading to those pieces?

Please excuse my ignorance, it just seems like I must be missing something.

Cheers

oldmopars

Postby oldmopars » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:22 pm

I removed the radio control and receiver. I blocked it off with a plate I have future plans for. My radio worked, but could not change stations. If you want I can give more details. My phone basically replaced the radio. I control volume and everything with it. I am only using the bikes amp and speakers.

evesdropper
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate

Postby evesdropper » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Just would like to know how well it sounds . Does it improve the sound a lot or just a little?
I am using a old cassette with the wire to a ipod but am not happy with the sound quality.
I am also considering a fm transmitter .

oldmopars

Postby oldmopars » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:59 pm

I can not comment on sound quality, my speakers are not good and I need to upgrade them. I do know it will be better than through an adapter.

80-GL100-INT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate (current)
Previously Owned:
1981 CB 750 Custom
1976 CB 750 Super Sport (punched to 900)
1986 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1974 Suzuki 550
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 (First Street Bike-way back in '88)

Postby 80-GL100-INT » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:07 am

oldmopars wrote:I can not comment on sound quality, my speakers are not good and I need to upgrade them. I do know it will be better than through an adapter.

:D viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17809 :mrgreen:
If "WE THE PEOPLE" don't defend our rights...Who will?
"Government's first duty is protect the people, not run their lives."...Ronald Reagan

http://www.powdercoat.tk/

alastair.kj
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby alastair.kj » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:09 pm

What are the four red things above your plug in adapter?

So all I need to do is figure out a way to connect auxiliary cord straight to the amp?

oldmopars

Postby oldmopars » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Those are red guarded switches, from a military aircraft. I was a crew chief in the Air Force for 14 years.
All you need to do is feed the output of the mp3 to the input of the amp. 3 wires, left right and comon'

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”