About ready to jump off....

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

About ready to jump off....

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:47 pm

...a very high cliff.... :x :cry: :evil:

This GL1100 I is driving me mad.. :? ..It is ALWAYS something to fix...

The previous owner deferred ALL the maintenance and just rode it into the ground..
Then used my trusting nature against me telling me there was little to do on this bike but just to ride it...
I KNEW that was a lie but I didn't realize how badly I had gotten screwed! :|
I felt I would have to do the usualy new-to-me bike updates like brakes, calipers, master cylinders and tires. (All done)
Then I found a rats nest of electronics and untangled and sorted all that carp out ..
Next it was trouble with the headlight and other lights and I traced it to the fuse box being old, corroded ad melting...so a new fuse box completely needed to be wired in...$$
Then when we finally got around to doing the tires and we found a badly worn driven flange and final drive so we sourced a newer one with only 16,900 miles on it and put that in (more $$)
So after a while it was running really poorly so I decided the carbs were a mess and tore them down and found a bunch of mistakes on /in them..After spending another bunch o money ($$$) I got them working well and the bike finally runs decently..
Except the starter really was working poorly so I took it apart, and cleaned it and tried again but no luck so I found a used starter that worked just fine and started enjoying the new ride..until today when the new used starter crapped out... :evil: :evil: :evil: :x
Now I have a rebuild kit on order - and will work with 2 starters to make one good one that HOPEFULLY will work the bike and we can ride the dang thing...I also order the solenoid replacement just in case and will probably replace that while we are in there as I eliminate potential troubles in every system...

:evil:

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: About ready to jump off....

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Good thing it looks like you have some other bikes to ride. If that was my only ride I would have dragged it to the dump long ago.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

tunaboy
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Postby tunaboy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:00 am

Hey Bud, sorry to hear about your on going problems. I have a '80 1100 and did have some carb issues and had a mechanic look at the rack. He did some minor cleaning and a bench sync. Before that I had my mercury gauges on the bike 8-10 times and never got the sides to balance out even close to where it should have been. After the last round of pulling the carbs and bench syncing when I put the rack back on the bike ran and idled so good I have not tried putting that mercury gauges back on and have no plans to. That was about 2000 miles ago. I must admit that I am getting tired of all the maintenance things that a 33 year old bike needs. So far: timing belts, plug wires-caps, fuel lines-filter, ignition modules, radiator removal-hoses-thermostat, tappets, rear end service, stainless brake lines. There are a few other non-necessary things that I think I will pass on until next spring. It sure sounds like you are having issue after issue. If there is anything I can do to help let me know. I don't think we are more than 30 minutes from each other. I am sure that I would be where you are at with the project if I had as many set backs. Very POed.
Tuna

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:21 am

Okay ...thanks for the kind words...
I am not giving up...I am too stubborn ...and maybe just stupid ....
But ...as of now I have a starter rebuild kit on order, a new solenoid in case and it includes the main fuse replacement ...
The carbs are now close enough to run for a while but with no starter we cant even try...
I have 2 starters now...MYgoal is to rebuild them into 1 that is reliable...

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:57 am

Starter work is now done...
The bike starts right up like a champ and runs like nothing I could've imagined...
Power and quickness right up to burying the needle at 85+ MPH...
It revs up to 7000 RPMs before I even realize it...
Who KNEW that the GL1100 was a RACEBIKE.....? ;) :mrgreen:

Here is a picture of the carb clean process...
Everything inside the carbs was similarly dirty.
Carb bowl comparision -- Before & After...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:52 pm

Just think...very shortly, you'll have a perfect bike, with no problems!

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:03 am

WingAdmin wrote:Just think...very shortly, you'll have a perfect bike, with no problems!

Thanks for the encouragement...I am pretty close now...
I want to re-do the carb synch and see if I can get it closer...
I have the 2&4 balanced and the 1 &3 balanced but not the left to right yet...
The LEFT is pulling more vacuum then the RIGHT - by a fair amount....The gauges are perfectly in tune with each other...
When ever I try to bring them into synch at idle near 1000 RPM the engine dies down and cuts off...
I have tried ...but it isn't done yet...
I have a new idea....I am going to try to synch them with a higher idle (2000?) and then turn the idle down after they are in line with each other side to side...probably this weekend..
Better than before though...MPGs went from 32 to 37 Avg commuting so we did some good already... ;)

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 pm

Sounds like my bike all over again....Once I got everything sorted out all I do is check the oil once in a while and the air pressure...I'm kinda bored now, I need a project bike or something...

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:57 pm

Happy Happy Joy Joy .....

We GOT IT ! -- WE GOT IT !

Perfectly balanced LEFT & RIGHT as well as 1 to 3 & 2 to 4 ....

We turned up the idle - and as we brought the left closer to the right the Right picked up vacuum and the left dropped vacuum and the idle dropped into line at 1000 RPM's ...As a team me son and I worked.. S L O W L Y turning the synch screw to get them close together and simultaneously adjusting the idle keeping it at 1000 RPMs.

Adjust - adjust- Adjust --- It took about 20 minutes...

After an adjustment left-right check and adjust front back on both sides...

And then with 1 final tweak to the 2 & 4 match ---

IT WAS PERFECT....

Then a nice 50 mile shake down run......... :mrgreen: :lol: :D :mrgreen: :lol: :D

POWER - SMOOTH - THROTTLE RESPONSE - NO BUCKING or RATTLING.

:mrgreen: :lol: :D :D :lol: :mrgreen:

No for tomorrows testing.... Ride the gas out of it and figure the mileage -
See if we get MORE improvement (How could we NOT?)

If it goes up again from the original 32 MPG AVG - to the before synch 36 MPG to a hopeful 40 MPG ...

(Gotta keep a restrained wrist :twisted: - To much twisting will reduce miles per gallon)

Thanks to everyone who posted words of encouragement and hope....

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:04 am

littlebeaver wrote:Sounds like my bike all over again....Once I got everything sorted out all I do is check the oil once in a while and the air pressure...I'm kinda bored now, I need a project bike or something...

Me too! I am looking now for a cheapo 1100. Tired of just polishing the 1000.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:42 am

WingAdmin wrote:Just think...very shortly, you'll have a perfect bike, with no problems!

And no money!! :lol:

Gary

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:58 am

thrasherg wrote:

And no money!! :lol:

Gary

I know you are kidding about the "no money" thing...
But for me I really enjoy the challenges of keeping these old classics running and DEPENDABLE...
This GL1100 is my 19 years old sons bike...( A Goldwing at 19!?!)
HE has no money but loves Goldwings (the result of being raised around them).
SO - we work together toward making the bikes rideable and safe and reliable --and Father/Son bond which is worth every penny.
Someday I will just give in and buy the latest and greatest technology..but that will probably be a while as I am still having fun turning wrenches -- especially when we have a moment like last night when we got thos carbs balanced 8-)

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Results of the "Perfect Carb Synch" ---Todays 1st tank of fuel burned went from a previous 36-37 MPG to 39.6 MPG ... 10% improvement...
He is out running the freeway for 100 miles right now to determine that speed MPG as well....Last tank under those conditions (65-70MPH) was at 34 MPG ....I expect a little better.....

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:35 pm

Freeway test completed. - 100 miles at 70 MPH = 37 MPG
Up the same 10% just getting the carb synch perfect...

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Ok now next time you sync. them they won't be off too bad at all, it makes you wonder how in the heck it ran so far off, glad you got it fixed up and the son was right there too, I can visualize your ear to ear grin, it's called a satisfaction grin...I know it well... :D I never stop trying to satisfy myself...Hey...... you guys get your minds out of the gutter I'm talking about learning stuff here , motorcycle stuff.. :lol: :lol:

tunaboy
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Postby tunaboy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:50 am

Hey Mr. Wing,
I am very glad that you got the carbs running good. I explained that I tried to sync mine MANY times and only made it worse. I got a bench sync and the bike ran great so I have not touched carbs since. So if I understand your process you cranked the idle screw up to 2000 rpm and started there. At that point you adjusted the individual carbs closer and then started to drop the idle a bit and adjusted again?? Can you give us all who chasing the carb sync. a push in the right direction. I thought that I was a pretty good mechanic until I started with my Mercury gauges and and a Wing. I only succeeded in making the situation worse.
Tuna
P.S. A little MMO or ATF in the gas makes the bike run a little crisper. I think that it is because the oil adds some lubricity to the fuel and keeps all the carb internal parts moving they way they should.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:16 am

tunaboy wrote:.... So if I understand your process you cranked the idle screw up to 2000 rpm and started there. At that point you adjusted the individual carbs closer and then started to drop the idle a bit and adjusted again?? Can you give us all who chasing the carb sync. a push in the right direction. ....

Essentially that is correct...
As we could NOT get the LEFT-RIGHT match of carbs I KNEW there was something wrong...the right bank was MUCH lower on vacuum than the LEFT side..But I did not realize WHY...?
Then I was reading somewhere on the internet about this "other" method of carb synch.
That was to turn UP the IDLE via the IDLE adjust screw to a higher RPM and synch from there. This made sense to emas whenever I tried to synch the carbs LEFT to RIGHT the bike wold idle down until it died completly...I couldn't keep it running although it was idling at 1000 RPM when I started the ssynch process...
So my son was stationed on the IDLE ADJUST SCREW and I on the CAR\B SYNCH Screw...And we worked as a team..
I adjusted the SYNCH and the idle would drop he would adjust it up - our target was 1100 to 1500 RPMs as we worked..
Then the process was adjust-adjsut-adjust...I was encouraged when I saw the vacuum on the RIGHT side coming up and the LEFT was dropping to equalize...After we had them close we redid the 1&3 and 2&4 synch and finally another LEFT & RIGHT synch...
It was just a tiny little bit off until I made the final adjustment...and it was perfect....
The process took about 20 minutes after we had the lowers off....
We could easily repeat the process on your bike someday should you desire to ride it over...
I OWN the 4 guage manometer and everything we need to do it...

tunaboy wrote: P.S. A little MMO or ATF in the gas makes the bike run a little crisper. I think that it is because the oil adds some lubricity to the fuel and keeps all the carb internal parts moving they way they should.

I have used the MMO in the fuel of all my bikes and find the MPG does go up a little bit. We have not added any to the GL1100 yet as I wanted to see the results of the carb work untainted ..The next few tanks will include a little additive. But I KNOW the carbs are super clean inside as I had them disassembled and cleaned them personally.

By the way - these 1100's are QUICK... :mrgreen: when they are running properly...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”