!!HELP!! Starter relay, Battery or ignition????

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
russ71
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 A Aspencade

!!HELP!! Starter relay, Battery or ignition????

Postby russ71 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:22 pm

Hello everyone. I need some help or I'm going to have to resort to taking my 82 GL1100A to a shop. About 2 months ago I began having troubles starting the bike. Sometimes it would click and sometimes it would start. I replaced the battery and it seemed to fix it. A month or so later the same thing happened so I replaced the starter relay (Solenoid) and that seemed to fix it. Now I'm away from home and the same thing is happening. I'm less than 100 miles from home and the last few times the only way I could get it started was to use a screwdriver on the relay. I stopped for some food and when I went out to get back on the road nothing. Not even with a screwdriver. Could the battery be dead? Will a jump help? All I have is a very cheap $7 trickle charger. I have it on the battery and have had for the last 2 hours. Still nothing. I am getting a local room for the night but would sure like to get home tomorrow. I don't have a test light or anything like that. Some simple tools like a multi tool and wrenches. Maybe a piece of wire or 2. ANY help would be GREATLY APPRICIATED!!!!!!!

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: !!HELP!! Starter relay, Battery or ignition????

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:40 pm

I was having similiar problems.

Can you push start the bike? I could. Got me where I wanted to go and I made sure I parked on a big hill. Rolled down and poped the clutch and drove home.

I put a screwdriver across the selonoid and nothing.

Turns out I put a new starter in and I have not had any problems in a couple of months.
So my problem was a very dirty starter and brushes.

What you are stating sounds what I had to go through.

russ71

Postby russ71 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Unfortunately I seem to be on the flattest place I can possibly find. LOL I may be able to acquire some help and see what happens. I was curious about the starter and it wouldn't surprise me. I have had to replace just about everything else. Im not good at rebuilding things but I may be able to replace it myself. I will try in the morning and see if I can get someone to give me a push. Thanks for the help.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:02 am

Rebuilding the starter is very easy- there is a diy on this forum. and the rebild kit is only $30. New starters aint cheap. Regards, Johnyy

russ71

Postby russ71 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:32 pm

I just got home and the bike is still hot. It starts with very litle problems by getting a bit of a roll and popping the clutch. It got me home that way anyways. Im going to take the starter off after it cools and disect it to see if its something I can do. If nothing else i can get it cleaned up a little and stick it back on to see what happens until a new starter or rebuild kit comes later this week. Thanks Jonny.

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Make sure you clean the commutator- nice and clean-replace the brushes. If you have problems removing the starter- remove the shift lever-it should slide out afterwards. Regards, Johnyy

russ71

Postby russ71 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:07 pm

I was able to get it out but after disasembling it I found out the brushes need replaced and there is one gear that has a cracked tooth. I found a rebuilt starter with a 1 year warranty for under $100 & free shipping. It will be here by Thursday. Im just hoping that the starter is the issue. Thanks again johnyy. I will let you know what happens after I get the new starter installed.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:21 am

Check the new starter when it arrives. Some aftermarket starters have a plastic gear. If it has the plastic gear don't even bother installing it as it "will" break.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

russ71

Postby russ71 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:02 pm

OK guys I am still having issues. I first replaced the selonoid and within a day it was doing the same thing. Only a click and crossing the poles didnt even work. I found out the starter was the original starter so i "assumed" the starter was the culprit. I just replaced the starter. Turned the key and....CLICK! Nothing more. Is it possible that the other starter, if it was bad, ruined the new selonoid? Any ideas? I used a test light and when pressing the start button I am not getting any power through the selonoid to the starter so i am once again assuming the selonoid is bad. I would rather not take this bike to a shop to have them charge me a fortune, Any help is greatly appriciated!!!!

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:12 am

Check the switch on the handlebar. Spray a lot of electrical spary cleaner in it. IF you take it apart be careful and do not lose the tiny springs in it. At times they shoot out like a wild bandit.

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:59 pm

I agree, sounds like a contact problem. Regards, Johnyy

russ71

Postby russ71 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Hey all...Just wanted to give you an update. I had a buddy look at it while he was over and we decided to completely clean the cable ends from the battery and solenoid as well as the end that connects to the starter. Turns out the cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter was pinched a bit from a rock that got thrown up in there sometime and there was some bare wire showing. We got everyththing reconnected and she fired up on the first push of the button. Its been 4 days and not one single glitch. I cant for sure say what the problem was only that it seems to be gone. Thanks for all your help!!!!!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”