getting 83 interstate onto center stand

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
edr421
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Interstate

getting 83 interstate onto center stand

Postby edr421 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:09 pm

is it st me or has someone else had problems getting their interstate up on the center stand, is there an easy way or am I just uncorordinated? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

lake_harley
Motorcycle: GL1100

Re: getting 83 interstate onto center stand

Postby lake_harley » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:30 pm

The key, to me anyway, is pushing down with your foot on the stand arm as much as it is pulling up and back. Start with the bike on it's side stand, left hand on the left grip, right hand on the forward saddlebag guard. Use your right foot to lower the center stand till it touches and keep pressure on it while standing the bike toward upright, "feeling" for when both sides of the center stand touch. In that position, with your left hand on the left grip, your right hand on the saddlebag guard, Push DOWN HARD on the centerstand lever arm with your right foot, and at the same time pull back a bit with your left hand (on the grip) and UP with your right hand (on the saddlebag guard). To put it simply, you're using your right arm and foot to "pry apart" the centerstand and the rest of the bike. I'm only about 155# and not strong by any means. If anything I give it one "rock" backward, letting it relax forward a bit, and then the second time it's for real and UP. I used to be a bit intimidated with the weight of the beast but now I can have my 'Wing up as easily as my son can get his 500 Ninja on it's center stand.

Good luck!

Lynn

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:24 pm

The center stand is right under my passenger floorboard so that makes it a little tougher to get the bike up on the center stand. A trick I learned was to roll the rear tire up onto a 2x4 or 2x6. That will give you just a little more leverage in getting the bike up on the center stand. That will do until I find a set of floorboards that fold up at a price that I am willing to pay.

I have also noticed that it is a little easier now that I have practiced using the 2x4 method.

oldhack62
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda CB900C Custom

Postby oldhack62 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:38 am

Personally, I don't have a 'wingspan' long enough to pull back on the handlebar/grip with any leverage, so I've adapted my plan, which works consistently with my '83 Interstate.
I leave the side stand down as a safety backup, but it isn't really part of getting the bike on the center stand. However, it's very important to tip the bike to its right until both feet of the center stand are on the ground.
So, basically, here's my procedure:
1. standing on the left side of the bike, turn and face the left saddlebag/pannier, with left hip against the seat;
2. step down on center stand tang with left foot and lightly push bike over to its right until the right foot of the stand also touches the ground;
3. reach down and grab -- with both hands, if possible -- the crash guard of the saddle bag, and lift-push to the rear while stepping down hard/standing on center stand tang. The slow, steady lifting action from simply pressing down on the stand while leaning into and over the saddlebag raises the bike onto the stand every time (so far ;)).

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”