Markland shifterr

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
nightair
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade Special Edition

Markland shifterr

Postby nightair » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:32 pm

I have an 85 Goldwing Limited Edition, can anyone tell me if the Markland foot rests and its shifter lever are the original set up please ??
The aluminum shifter lever attached to the foot peg (heel/toe type) has a chrome fork shaped piece bolted to it which engages the oval shaped shifter lever going to the gearbox. It seems to me that the aluminum lever is some sort of aftermarket piece, the forked end is jamming up on the oval shifter making it difficult to properly downshift sometimes.

Is there a better shifter option than the heel/toe ? I dislike this system and would prefer the normal shifter lever. My friend has an 82 with the normal toe shifter, can i go this route while keeping the foot rest.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Markland shifterr

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:41 pm

nightair wrote:I have an 85 Goldwing Limited Edition, can anyone tell me if the Markland foot rests and its shifter lever are the original set up please ??
The aluminum shifter lever attached to the foot peg (heel/toe type) has a chrome fork shaped piece bolted to it which engages the oval shaped shifter lever going to the gearbox. It seems to me that the aluminum lever is some sort of aftermarket piece, the forked end is jamming up on the oval shifter making it difficult to properly downshift sometimes.

Is there a better shifter option than the heel/toe ? I dislike this system and would prefer the normal shifter lever. My friend has an 82 with the normal toe shifter, can i go this route while keeping the foot rest.

The Markland shifter is aftermarket. You might be able to keep the original footrest - it depends on how your feet fit with the original lever, really.

nightair
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade Special Edition

Postby nightair » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Can you suggest a better shifter, aesthetics are not as important as function for me. ?
Thanks for the reply Wing Admin

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:54 pm

nightair wrote:Can you suggest a better shifter, aesthetics are not as important as function for me. ?
Thanks for the reply Wing Admin

Personally I'd just have the footpegs and stock shifter - what works for you is going to depend on personal preferences, riding style, your boots, etc...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”