Cooling system problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tater9951
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100I Interstate

Cooling system problem

Postby tater9951 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Hey everyone I've got an 82 GL1100I with a over heating issues I can go and ride 40 miles an the gage comes up to about 150 degrees I used a laser pointer temperature tester and got 117 to 120 degrees on the radiator the other day I took it out and things were the same till I was in town and it was like it caught fire there was an enormous amount of heat coming off the engine the temp gage indicator was in the middle of the gage I can't tell if the fan is running or not the gas gage works so I believe the temp gage does work this heating issues has got me stumped I put a new timing belt alone with a complete tune up the bike starts and runs great except for the cooling system problem.
Thanks for listening any help would be welcome.Tater

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Re: Cooling system problem

Postby wjnfirearms » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:25 am

Basically, the cooling system of a GL is not unlike one in a car, so you have to look at why it's happening.

We'll assume you have enough coolant and you checked this and that the gauge is, in fact, operational. We'll also assume that the cooling system is not clogged. The possible causes could be thermostat, water pump, sending unit to operate the fan, or the fan itself.

If the thermostat is not opening, it it will overheat as coolant is not being permitted to flow, This is one of the most common causes of vehicles overheating. If the impeller part of a water pump that causes coolant to flow has become broken, this could cause it also, but is much rarer and I believe is probably an unlikely cause of your problem. The cooling fan uses a electrical sending unit to activate it at a specific temperature. If is has failed, it will not activate the fan. If the fan motor itself has pooped the bed, it will not work and you can overheat.

Now, you need to isolate the specific cause. Personally, I'd say that a bad thermostat is the most likely cause.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

tater9951
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100I Interstate

Postby tater9951 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:15 am

I'd like to take a minute to thank everyone how has given me all the great advise on my Goldwing so to all my friends THANK YOU.
You were right about the thermostat I flushed the system and put a new cap and sending unit in no more surprises every thing else checked out . Thanks' Tater :)

edwardpurdie
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Postby edwardpurdie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:59 am

I have a1998 GL1500 SE. I WIRED THE FAN MOTORS TO A TOGGLE SWITCH AND I RAN A GROUND, FANS WORKED. ON FIRST RIDE OUT POWER DIED AND BIKE OVER HEATED. I WIRED THE FANS BACK TO ORIGINAL WIRES. NOW BIKE OVER HEATS. I WAS TOLD THAT THERE MAY BE A AIR POCKET. THERE IS NO LEAKS AND I REPLACED TO THERMOSTAT PRIOR TO THIS PROBLEM. PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”