painting the wing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
hockeystuff54
Motorcycle: 1980 honda goldwing gl 1100

painting the wing

Postby hockeystuff54 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:17 pm

after a few bodyshop quotes and involve I have decided to paint the wing the win mygood self,i realize its gonna be a lot of work but if it goes well and is done correctly I think the rewards will be well worth it,i have a dust free area and a gravity fed sprayer along with a good compressor,im finding the sanding very time consuming but coming along good,any tips from those who have done one ,would appreciate some advice ,thanks all

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: painting the wing

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Watch the humidity level and clean the surface after sanding...Even the smallest particle will ruin a gloss finish.
Even after painting my 83,I sanded smooth with 2000 grit then polished with finer and finer compound till it looked like a mirror.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:45 am

do not put any kind of wax on the new paint for at least 6 weeks.

HondaWalt
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
1980 CB 900C
1974 CB 550

Postby HondaWalt » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:19 am

I'll share with you my motorcycle painting project so you can make your own conclusions to a method.
Once I decided to paint I thought for a good paint job with minimal aggrevation and effort (sanding in tight places with the possibility of dust contamination) to completly dismantle the motorcycle down to the frame. I know this sounds extreme but for a 1980 GL 1100 I felt there was no option if a good result was to be had. During the tear down process there was corrosion discovered under paint in unaccessable areas (steering neck and joint welds). Once the engine and wiring was removed I paint stripped the frame down to bare steel and sand blasted where ever the paint wouldn't come off with stripper. Now having a bare metal frame and never wanting to go through this process of stripping / sand blasting / painting again I decided to use Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum Gloss Black for a finish. All painting for the frame fenders and tank took place in my backyard with this paint on good weather days. No elabrate precautions were taken for the tank and fenders during prep work, just a scuffing for adherance because the paint has body. I used automotive pin strping tape to duplicate the original look and finish of the bike.
The results were spectacular!, I now have a thick well protected metal frame and body that won't need waxing or any maintenance other than a light washing from road dirt. Because of all this effort the engine was an easy cleaning and painting with automotive high heat silver / gray paint from the local Auto Zone store. The time invested was substantial, however the paint was down right inexpensive... under $50. The wire grounding areas on the frame were polished and coated with silicone electrical grease upon assembly. I work Air Craft so when installing the electrical harness I used Air Craft mindset in securing and routing the electrical harness. There was No danger of damaging or chaffing a wire during assembly and so normal daily riding under any road condition is now worry free. On 3 seperate ocassions strangers approached me asking if I was willing to sell my 32 year old bike... I'd say that's testimony to how well the painting turned out. I wish you the best and hope you have a good deal of time and patience.
HondaWalt

Wingerdave
Motorcycle: 1981 GL 1100 Interstate
1989 GL 1500

Postby Wingerdave » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 am

Hi there,

Here's a (hefty) story about a little restoratio/rebuild i did a few years back. There's some info on painting with photos of the results. Hope it helps you out.

I was pretty much forced into this project due to a taxi driver who thought my old blue Wing was the most beautiful thing he'd seem in his 75 years and just had to slow down and stop on an intersection to admire it as it careened into the side of his Mercedes.

With the insurance payout I bought another Wing ('83) to ride and bought the wreck back with the intention of using the parts together with my original project bike to get something back on the road.

Unfortunately I don't have any photo's of the wreck..... I did'nt have a digi camera then. Sorry.

This is her story.............

This was the original project bike........ it donated a frame, fairing and SS exhaust system

Stripped out the wreck. Threw away the frame, rusty exhaust and fairing and kept everything else.

Engine from the wreck.

Cleaned the engine, checked clutch, stator, water pump, replaced belts, bla, bla, bla.......

Put it back together and made it look like new

Final drive before......

and after

Time to start putting things back in and on

Getting there...........

Moving on to paint..........

Starting to look like a bike. Quite like the naked look, actually.

Time to cover her up a bit........ panniers and Fairing.

Here's the proof....... You can with a rattle can

After a year she couldn't wait to go for a spin.....

She rode very nicely, the rebuilt front forks (incl. new fork tubes) worked fantastically well.
Basking in the sun for the first time.

Well, that was that.... almost a year. The paint job was probably the hardest, took 3 months, on and off, and it did come out looking better than i'd dreamed of. I'd recommend doing something like this to anyone, it's been a great time.

Cost of this job came out at about €900 (round the $1100 mark).

sperryunivac
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate
1969 Bsa Lightning

Postby sperryunivac » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Wingerdave. That's a nice job you did on the painting of your Goldwing.
Just a question about the picture showing the saddlebags with all the clothes pins. What did you use for the new rubber seal that the pins are holding?

Wingerdave
Motorcycle: 1981 GL 1100 Interstate
1989 GL 1500

Postby Wingerdave » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:53 am

Hey Sperryunivac,

I used a contact adhesive (Evo-Stick, Bison, god knows what you have in the U.S.). I degreased the rubbers and lightly sand the saddlebag edges, applied a coat of adhesive, waited 10 mins, put the rubbers on and pegged them for 24 hrs.

Then I sprayed the rubbers with a silicon spray and lightly coated them with vaseline (I do that every 3 months or so). The rubbers are still on there 5 years later.

Dave.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:00 am

You asked for advice on painting your bike Hockeystuff54, my advice to you is this , bleed out the air compressor of all water before you spray, add two water filters to the lines as well...There's nothing like having water spray thru the lines via compressor while painting,,it's enough to anger you.... :shock: Learn from others mistakes..

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”