Electrical quiestion

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Gunnar Már
Motorcycle: Honda Gl 1100

Electrical quiestion

Postby Gunnar Már » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:21 pm

Last weekend I took my wing on a three day tour around part of Iceland and we hit all kinds of weather and all kinds of roads, and all in all my wing just did fine if wee look at it like it is it´s 30 years old and has done 80.000km.
But a fellow rider has an extra led lights on his tail and I´ve been looking for a led light just like that so I want it.
He told me it´s not possible to connect those leds directly to the tail light because originally they somehow switch positive to negative when you operate the brake light :shock: :shock: :shock:
I´ve never heard of any thing like that, how do I change this connection? :twisted: :twisted:
I´m going to put those leds on my trunk but I have to somehow make sure it works.

Best to all
and greetings from Iceland

Gunnar Már

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Electrical quiestion

Postby Wilcoy02 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:03 pm

I just hooked led flashers up to my taillight today. It flashes for about 5 seconds and then stays on while the brake is applied. I just hooked into the wires under the seat. Works good for me.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Electrical quiestion

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:46 pm

Gunnar Már wrote:Last weekend I took my wing on a three day tour around part of Iceland and we hit all kinds of weather and all kinds of roads, and all in all my wing just did fine if wee look at it like it is it´s 30 years old and has done 80.000km.
But a fellow rider has an extra led lights on his tail and I´ve been looking for a led light just like that so I want it.
He told me it´s not possible to connect those leds directly to the tail light because originally they somehow switch positive to negative when you operate the brake light :shock: :shock: :shock:
I´ve never heard of any thing like that, how do I change this connection? :twisted: :twisted:
I´m going to put those leds on my trunk but I have to somehow make sure it works.

Best to all
and greetings from Iceland

Gunnar Már

No definitely not. There are two circuits on the tail light - one that is +12V all the time when the bike is on, and one that is +12V only when the brakes are on. Both share the same ground. You can hook your LEDs into the brake circuit and it will work fine.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”