Sooty Plug on #3

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tunaboy
Motorcycle: 1980GL1100 NICE!

Sooty Plug on #3

Postby tunaboy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:06 pm

I have a problem with cylinder # 3. In early spring I was having a missing problem. I pulled the plugs and #3 was a little sooty, black and dry. I ran some Sea Foam and the bike ran great after a tank or two of fuel. I never looked any closer because the bike was running strong. Now maybe 1000 miles later I develop a bad miss. I pull the plugs and #3 is black and sooty again and will not fire. I pull out a brand new plug and the problem is solved. I took the bike for a ride today with the new plug in place and the bike ran real strong. After about 70 miles I stop for gas and the bike starts to miss again with the almost new plug in place. I have to ride about 10 miles to get home and along the way the power comes back. So the bike ran home 6-8 miles running strong again. I pulled #3 again and it is black and sooty but it will fire. Do I have a float problem or what. I refuse to pull the carbs in the middle of the riding season but what do you think my problem is. When #3 runs I have great power and a nice idle at about 1000 rpm. When #3 is out the bike stumbles and the the idle is more choppy. I don't think it is an ignition problem, to me it seems to get too much fuel.
Your thoughts please,
Tuna

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Sooty Plug on #3

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:02 pm

You try switching the plug wires of 3 and 4 see it the problem follows the wires..then you'll know if it's the carb or wires/cap

Bad plug cap or bad wire/connection?? cut off about a 1/4" of the plug wire and see if that helps. or the resistor in the cap could be going out? Sure sounds like poor spark or too much gas.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

tunaboy

Postby tunaboy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:40 pm

RB, you mention the resistor in the plug can as a possible problem. Could this be an intermittent problem? It is very obvious when the bike starts to miss. It starts to burble and miss under load. The thing that baffles me is that the bike was running great when I stopped for gas and left the station and the miss was back and cleared out after a mile or two. I rode the last few miles home with all cylinders firing and the bike accelerated well. I then did the plug check and found the sooty # 3 when I got home . Since the bike was running strong when I got home I really DID NOT expect to see the dirty plug in #3 at that point. If it were an ignition problem wouldn't it work or not work? If it were a fuel problem what might it be? I should probably do the plug cap swap and eliminate the possibility. It confuses me when I don't see much of a pattern.
Thanks
Tuna
I just want to ride my scooter firing on all cylinders.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:10 am

electrical can be intermittent..as connection is good then bad..heat, vibration?? etc.

Switch the wires and see if it follows...then you'll know for sure.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:00 am

If and when you get ready to rebuild those carbs let me know...
I have the carb dip and the Ultrasonic cleaner already..
As well as the 4 place vacuum guage for synching them...
We did the GL1100 a few weeks ago...it has made a big difference...
Although the synch is still not right on...
I am going to work on that again tomorrow.
But better power, better MPG , easier starting... ;)
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

tunaboy

Postby tunaboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Hey Wing,
Thanks again for the great offer. Did you buy the Randakk carb kit?. I had a friend do a bench sync in spring. Put the rack back on and it ran and idled better than ever. I have not touched them since. I did try to sync the rack with Mercury gauges and never got it right. I used to think I was pretty a pretty wrench until I tried to sync my wing carbs. Makes you humble. I was glad to read that it looks like you have your 1100 up and running. I have about 2500 miles on my bike this summer. Most miles were WONDERFUL. Just about the time I think about a run up to Green Bay old gremlins surface. I am not intimidated by pulling the carbs anymore but I have done a lot of the maintenance work required on a 30+ year old bike. Unless I am forced to pull them again my plan it to RIDE MY Scooter. Hope your rides are safe and dry.

Thanks Bud.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:09 pm

I DID NOT buy the Randaak kit.
We did not split the carb bodies. All we did was a clean and refresh...
New bowl gaskets, new main jets and float needles. Cleaned the carbs inside by a thourough cleaning in the ultrasonic and simple green for several turns (many as an entire unit... Set the floats perfectly and went to work on a decent bench synch followed by a vacuum synch (will be doing that some more to really dial it in)
The BIG deal for me was the idle mixture adjustment screws - ALL NEW ones as the old were broken and misused..
They were alos set at nearly 3 turns out when our '80s like 1-1/4 turns base line...
The carbs synch perfectly 1 to 3 and 2 to 4 but not left to right (yet)...
Wednesday is carb synch day as I have a day off and time to fiddle with it.
But the avg MPG went from 32 commuting to 36 commuting and a few tanks near 40 MPG...
A startling increase with room to get even better...
I know the '83s were better than that even but the80's are geared lower in the rear end so they are peppy at the expense of a few MPGs if I have my info correct.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:11 pm

By the way..
I HATE taking these carbs off...
It is a constant challenge of my patience.... :evil:

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”