Front Brake Lever--No Brake Light

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dwight007fchr
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Front Brake Lever--No Brake Light

Postby dwight007fchr » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:03 am

I was checking for operation of lights and discovered that my front brake lever does not turn on the rear brake light when it is engaged. I unplugged the two wires going into the right handle under the brake lever and tested for voltage......got voltage there. I checked for continuity through the small micro-switch under the brake handle.....put a test lead on each prong and then applied the brake lever, and I got continuity......so the micro switch is good.

When I push the foot brake pedal, the rear brake light comes on, so the light bulbs are fine. Can anyone suggest the most logical spot to check in the wiring for a break? Is there a seperate fuse for the front brake light switch?

Thanks.

gr8jeep
Motorcycle: 88 GL 1500 2003 Shadow 83XS650 82 Virago

Re: Front Brake Lever--No Brake Light

Postby gr8jeep » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:29 am

You need to find where the 2nd wire on the handle bar , the one without the 12v ties in heading towards the back of the bike , then you can do a continuity check on that wire and see if there is a break , not sure where it ties in , it would make since it ties into the brake light wire after it hits the rear brake switch , maybe under the seat or near the rear brake switch , wish I could help on the location , good luck

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:39 am

Thanks gr8jeep......yep, I will just have to try to trace it backwards. Will post what I find.
See ya.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:50 pm

dwight007fchr wrote:I was checking for operation of lights and discovered that my front brake lever does not turn on the rear brake light when it is engaged. I unplugged the two wires going into the right handle under the brake lever and tested for voltage......got voltage there. I checked for continuity through the small micro-switch under the brake handle.....put a test lead on each prong and then applied the brake lever, and I got continuity......so the micro switch is good.

When I push the foot brake pedal, the rear brake light comes on, so the light bulbs are fine. Can anyone suggest the most logical spot to check in the wiring for a break? Is there a seperate fuse for the front brake light switch?

Thanks.

Are you saying if you put a voltmeter on the two wires that hook to the front brake switch, you see voltage? That would indicate that the connection to the brake lights is intact. Try shorting those two wires together when they are disconnected from the switch and see if the brakes light up.

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:10 am

Are you saying if you put a voltmeter on the two wires that hook to the front brake switch, you see voltage? That would indicate that the connection to the brake lights is intact. Try shorting those two wires together when they are disconnected from the switch and see if the brakes light up.[/quote]

Wingadmin.......Yep, got voltage on those 2 wires, and switch appears to be working right. OK.....will do....I will short those two wires and see if light comes on.....will let you know what happens. If the light comes on, then it must be the switch I guess.
Thanks.

kwild
Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Postby kwild » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:23 am

You can remove the switch, carefully split the casing and clean the contacts. very simple process. This switch is off my 85 Aspy.
Attachments
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:27 pm

KWild....thanks for those pics........thats a big help.......I just went out to the garage and pulled the two wires again. I put a jumper wire between the two wires and turned the key switch on.....and the rear brake light came on. Funny thing is that when I put a test light between the two wires, the test light comes on, but the brake lights do not. Not sure why.

At first I thought I would have to remove all the brake lines and remove the throttle, but glancing up underneath, it looks like the switch will come right off without removing anything else.....thats good! So, it must be super dirty contacts as you said above. I will pull her apart asap.

Thanks.

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:57 pm

KWild........Ok, I was just trying to take the microswitch off.......there was one small phillips head screw on the bottom, and then the switch would rotate but not come off......seems like there might be another screw coming down from the top. Are there two screws to get to????

Thanks.

kwild
85 Aspencade

Postby kwild » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Should just be one screw, but there is a small guide post that fits into a hole. Probably hasn't been moved in 30 years. Lightly pry with a small straight screwdriver and it should pop off easily.
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:20 pm

KWild.......Great news.....I did not want to have to remove a bunch of other stuff to get to another screw. OK>.....I will spray some lube up on the rotation point and then try gently prying it off. Thanks for the quick reply.....I had been going thru the online Goldwing Maintenance Manual, but could not find anything on this brake switch.

I wonder how many other old Wingers do not realize that their front brake switch is not working, since you typically use both front and rear brakes and never really know if one of the two switches are not working unless you check every so often.

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:16 pm

KWild.......This morning I popped the front brake light micro-switch off.....you were right, just a guide hole holding it up in place. It was a bit of a challenge to pop that microswitch in half.....I used the razor on a utility knife, then two very thin screwdrivers to wedge it apart, and finally got those two "snap" noises as the switch came apart. The points were pretty bad, so I took all the pieces apart and sanded the small points a bit. Then sprayed lube all over, cleaned it up, and then a drop of oil on the moving parts, and back together. She works like a new one now.

Great time to also lightly sand the two copper prongs coming out of the switch to give a good electron flow.
Thanks for your tips.

dwight

kwild
85 Aspencade

Postby kwild » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Good Deal. Enjoy the ride.
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

FlashBack
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Postby FlashBack » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:00 pm

dwight007fchr wrote:KWild.......Great news.....I did not want to have to remove a bunch of other stuff to get to another screw. OK>.....I will spray some lube up on the rotation point and then try gently prying it off. Thanks for the quick reply.....I had been going thru the online Goldwing Maintenance Manual, but could not find anything on this brake switch.

I wonder how many other old Wingers do not realize that their front brake switch is not working, since you typically use both front and rear brakes and never really know if one of the two switches are not working unless you check every so often.

Happened across this post. Now that you meantion it, i have the same issue. Thanks for the thread and tips!

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:06 am

FlashBack......Great to hear this post helped you with your front brake switch. Just takes a little patience to get it off and cleaned. Might need a shorter phillips and rotate the handlebar to get the max access room. Prying the small switch apart to get to the inside points is a challenge too....combo of utility knife and then super thin-tipped screwdrivers should do it. Be sure not to over-tighten when putting the screw back as that plastic switch could crack pretty easy.

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:52 am

I'll be tackling it this weekend and will let you know how it turned out.
Thanks again

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Okay...Got the switch off with ease... However, as i was cleaning the small point plate and the metal assembly, it came apart and i am at a loss on how to put it back together......lol
Can anyone assist with re assembly of the switch?
Thank you

dwight007fchr

Postby dwight007fchr » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:35 pm

FastBack.......Ok, your testing my memory on this one. As I recall, when I popped the small switch apart, there was the small on/off switch on the left, and on the right was the small set of points. I sanded the points and put them back in and then took out the on/off switch (that has a spring in it and one end pops out to engage the cam on the brake handle). The points part hooks up to the two stubs that stick out which connect to the two wires coming off the handlebar. As I recall, they pretty much can only go back in one way.

Maybe these pics I found might help:

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:18 pm

So I decided to go the easy way out and forked over $10.00 to the Honda Dealer and bought the switch.
I still have my old one apart and will re assemble when I have some time. I'll take pictures of the spring assembly when I get it figured out and will post them. Thanks for the assistance

lukeinmexico
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Goldwing Interstate

Postby lukeinmexico » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:44 am

Awesome post.
I had the same problem on my 86 Interstate.
I took off the switch, opened it, cleaned it, lubricated it, and it seems to be working fine now.
Great question and great responses.
Thank you.
Here's pictures of the inside of the switch when I first opened it to clean, hope they help.
Thanks again!
Attachments

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”