Front Brake Caliper engaging

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
GW-Newbie2013
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Front Brake Caliper engaging

Postby GW-Newbie2013 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:47 pm

Ok, so once again, I see the threads posted about this issue, but I thought I would post anyway under a new topic. My front brakes started smoking after riding for a couple miles. I stopped....let the brakes cool and was able to get riding again. While limping the bike home, I was torn between actually WORKING on the brakes or taking my .45 semi-auto the engine and calling the scrapper. I erred towards the "working on the brakes" option.

That being said....can I use Dot 4 brake fluid when I go through and bleed the brake system, clean the return port and fill it back up again? Or perhaps can I use Dot 3?

Hopefully someone will see this as I am about to head out the door to the auto parts store to spend yet MORE money. LOL..I do love this bike...but WHEW...definitely getting a crash course on bike maintenance.

Help?

Life is a bowl of cherries. Just remember to slingshot the pits at the chuckleheads once your done eating.

WalterM817
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I

Re: Front Brake Caliper engaging

Postby WalterM817 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:46 pm

I think you need DOT 3 instead of 4.
As far as the brakes engaging it's probably that they aren't disengaging from the last time time fully.
I'm not an expert but there is a small return port in the master cylinder that if blocked will keep the fluid from returning to the cylinder.
The other things may be air in the lines or failing that the calipers may have a sticking piston in which case a good cleaning will fix you up.

Good Luck to you.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:59 am

Yep two most likely issues...clogged return port..VERY small and hard to see at the bottom of the master cup next to the bigger hole. A sticking piston is a little more work..rebuild the caliper with a new o ring and buffed cylinder wall and piston sides.

You can usually get it to release if you crack the bleeder and then re-tighten it..and don't use the front brake again until you get home.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

GW-Newbie2013

Postby GW-Newbie2013 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:01 pm

ok. so here I am...half way in to the brake job and realize...I bought Dot 4 brake fluid instead of Dot 3. Now I know that I can use Dot 4 in PLACE of Dot 3...I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether or not 32ozs (1000mL) will be enough to do a complete change over? I know that mixing them is bad so I am wanting to totally replace the fluid. ugh...my brain is beginning it's process of atrophy now.

Also...I just plainly didn't have the money to get one of those mityvac thingies...so I'm going old school and doing the pump pump pump-hold, bleed, repeat thing that we do for automobiles. Is this going to be a problem?
Life is a bowl of cherries. Just remember to slingshot the pits at the chuckleheads once your done eating.

WalterM817
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I

Postby WalterM817 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:59 pm

Pump Pump Pump is fine.The DOT listing is usually on your master cylinder lid. You may want to check yours as I'm not sure of your model.

GW-Newbie2013

Postby GW-Newbie2013 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:10 pm

It definitely says dot3, but can I go dot 4?

baldgrimsbybiker
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100AD Aspencade.
1980 CB400N

Postby baldgrimsbybiker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:27 am

An additional problem could be the return hole within the REAR brake master which would affect the front brake on LINKED systems. this is sometimes overlooked because few people associate front brake problems with rear brakes.

Just a thought - hope it helps.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:20 am

Yes, you can use the Dot 4 brake fluid. As it will mix with Dot 3 without adverse affects, you don't even need to be careful about how well you clean out the system. 32 ounces will definitely be enough for the front brakes. Do not ever make the mistake, though, of using Dot 5 in any system that has had 3 or 4 in it unless it is really well cleaned out, preferably with new brake lines as well.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”