HELP, VERY CONFUSED

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
carl langendorf
Motorcycle: 82 gl1100 interstate

HELP, VERY CONFUSED

Postby carl langendorf » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:47 pm

my goldwing is acting retarded! a couple of weeks ago i noticed it was running real rough when i would go to take off unless i had the rpm up to 3k, i also noticed that my gas mileage went from 140 per tank down to 70 miles per tank if im lucky, i have tried to synch the carbs about 2 months ago. there is what i think is a leak from carb 2 float bowl, meaning i dont see any fuel anywhere and i see no drips however it is "wet" around the bowl, like maybe a bowl gasket is bad. today i turned the fuel petcock off and rode it home from where i was which was roughly 1 1/2 miles and let it sit and idle for 8 more minutes till the bowls were empty. it also looks like all of the vacuum lines r connected, if its past 1st gear runs good. i also put a new air filter in it. any ideas what the problem(s) could be? im getting at my wits end with this goldwing. :evil:

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: HELP, VERY CONFUSED

Postby thrasherg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Sounds to me like the slow/idle jets are blocked. Probably need to remove and clean out the carbs. I would also look at adding an inline fuel filter. One of the float valves might also be sticking, again that means a carb out and clean job..

Gary

South Tx Wingman
Motorcycle: 82 wing a

Postby South Tx Wingman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:42 pm

mine acted like that when bike would set for a few weeks of not running and with out stabil in the fuel..what i would do is take one at a time, the 90 that bolts one to each cyl. remove two screws on head and take screw driver to the clamp on rubber on discharge of carb so you can remove the 90..then take carb cleaner into the carb if you look close you can see the needle on the bottom..spray with clean and i have a airgun on my compressor and i blow the needle hole out and put back the 90 make it up and do them all like that and then my bike idles awesome after that.. the goldwing is made to run every day if you don't then be sure you treat you fuel...if you treat the fuel then it will not gum up....hope you get help from this i am not good with words on paper....good luck

kwild
Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Postby kwild » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:54 pm

I had a coil crapping out on my 85 Aspencade. Started it one day, ran fine with the choke, but after it warmed up, it ran like crap at low speed.. but once at hwy speed it was OK. Exit the hwy and back to crap. Had to turn around and head home.
Check the coils, 1 may be fouling.
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Your mileage is terrible. That generally points to carbs.
A complete rebuild would seem to be in your future.
The 1980 we had was at 33 mpg on a good day before we rebuilt and synched the carbs ...
Now it is at 38 to 4900 mpg...
As a fellow cheesehead I can offer my help ...
I have everything we need to do the cleaning and rebuild if you want ...
I can mentor you thru it...
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:44 pm

Slow Jets are clogged, pull the carbs off and unscrew the slow jets, soak them in carb cleaner over night and then use a tiny wire to carefully clear the passages, the center jets hole and the side jet holes, you may as well clean up the main jets again and be sure the float heights are set proper.. If you are unsure where the slow jets are located, look down one of the twin towers with a flashlight and you should see the screw drivers slot..on the top of the slow jet.. also I would make sure the slides [pistons] are polished and are not hanging up... :D You can verify that the pistons are not hanging up by using your sync gauges, just watch them all go up and down together, then you know they are good and not hanging up.. :D

carl langendorf
Motorcycle: 82 gl1100 interstate

Postby carl langendorf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:16 pm

my number 2 cylinder isn't firing, i pulled the plug for that cylinder and it wasn't firing looked to be fouled out so i switched that plug with number 4 and rode it out to my brothers house (22 miles) pulled the plug again and the same thing, nothing, wasnt firing, it fired outside of the bike against metal and by having the number 2 plug out while cranking, there was fuel being pumped out of cylinder 2 spark plug hole, my oil is filled with so much gas that i now have a pretty good oil leak where before this issue i had a couple drops at most, i went out the other day to see if the floats were the same or close to it and noticed that there isn't any "nipple" on the bottom of the bowl to hook up a hose to see it but i couldn't get the screw loose on number 3 it is tightened down so much and i didn't want to damage the screw or worse. I put some lucas carb cleaner in it and ran it and got ALOT of smoking once it warmed up and it acted a little bit better but not much.
There is someone on here that is willing to help me clean them all up, I just have to get it to his home, probably have to trailer it there but he is willing to help, I just have to call him up so I think I'm going to do that later this afternoon because I know nothing about carbs and he does. I just don't have the faith to do anything to it like this myself

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Check you PM's ....And Hang in there...

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”