carburator 1981,1100interstate

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
corba
Motorcycle: "1981 GL1100I INTERSTATE"

carburator 1981,1100interstate

Postby corba » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:41 am

I salute you, my friends, if someone can tell me the parameters for setting the carburetor and in what order to tune the, for 1100 goldwing interstate Year 1981, at low revs to 2000, inequality works and I can not fix his idle or shuts down or held at 2200 rpm, and when I drive it works great, I was spending at a speed of 120 km / h 6.5 liters per 100 km.hvala advance and regards

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: carburator 1981,1100interstate

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:41 pm

Basic steps for carburetors.
Clean insides and jet holes.
Adjust floats as needed.They must be accurate.
Adjust all throttle valves closed.
Adjust idle screw.All 4 throttle valves must open the same and the same amount.
The slides must not stick.They must move very smooth.
Adjust the idle mixture screws 3.5 turns from closed.
Install on bike with good rubber "O" rings.
Synchronize the carburetors to the engine at 1000 rpm.
Carburetors are synced....first: right pair,then left pair and lastly left rear to right rear.

I hope this helps...

hrobinson
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100

Postby hrobinson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:49 pm

I have an '82 Goldwing, and there are significant differences between the 81 and 82 Goldwing.

Randakk Cycle Shakk http://www.randakks.com sells the whole carburetor kit as well as a carburetor repair guide written by Howard Halasz. Having never rebuilt a carburetor in my life and using both his video and the manual (and his provided kit) I have the confidence to rebuild them to pristine condition.

I would recommend that you perform a whole complete break down and rebuild of the carburetor to make sure it is cleaned out completely. Remember to have a VERY clean place to work and the chemicals you work with (carb cleaner etc) is very caustic.

DO NOT USE CARB DIP ON YOUR CARBS, you will ruin the felts on the shafts which will introduce binding. Again. DO NOT USE CARB DIP ON YOUR CARBS. You will ruin the felts on the shafts which will introduce binding. (do I need to repeat it again?)

That said. It is really important that the floats be set correctly, the manual details a procedure in doing this. you can't just hold up the carb and look at the float and say "oh we need to adjust it" or "that looks ok". Remember you are looking at the floats up side down. The weight of the float will press unnecessarily hard on the seat making it look like its correct (when its not) or making it look off (when its set correctly). If the floats are set incorrectly you can experience flooding or starving on a particular carb.

Also you will need to balance the carbs to make sure they are synchronized correctly. The manual details the whole procedure. To balance the carbs, a manometer is used to make sure the vacuum is set correctly.

Randakk's kits are the highest quality kits you can purchase for your bike and the most complete. Its also expensive (roughly $200.00 or more). Some of the parts in the kit are NOT provided by Honda. Also the kit does not include new needle valves and seats. Each set should be replaced for each carb at the time of rebuild. Remember the needle valves and seats in your carburetor are over 30 years old if they have not been replaced already.

Don't mess around, by buying seats from third party vendors. Buy the seats from Mother Honda herself. The reason for this is the seats coming from China could be ever so slightly too long or too short, causing fuel problems with the carbs. Look, each set roughly costs $30.00 EACH and are a matched set (needle valve and seat). For 4 of them it will cost you $120 to replace all 4, and all 4 should be replaced. If you are rebuilding the carbs why not do it correctly and accurately. Again a good investment.

You can use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the carbs. Again complete dis-assembly of the carburetors are required and this process is the most environmentally friendly. You can take your carburetors to a shop that has an ultrasonic cleaner and have it done, skipping the cost of purchasing one.

Those are my suggestions and recommendations. Theses suggestions are not the cheapest, but I feel its the right way to do this project.

Sincerely,

Harold Robinson

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:26 am

How to synch article on this site under how too's and a carb rebuild on http://www.ngwclub.com/shoptalk/ several good ones. plus lots of other how too's

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”